'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I have been looking up valve spring retainers and locks for these Edelbrock heads. The Edelbrock retainers I have fit the Comp springs I have for my cam and the keepers obviously fit correctly because they came with the heads.
I am finding the valve stems are and odd size or am I looking up the wrong thing? They are 11/32" with 7 Deg keepers. All the descriptions say is spring size and rate or lock degree angle. None say the valve stem size. If I look on Summit they give 8mm and .343" as an option.
The shop I brought my block to says they can fix my head. Was going to buy Bob Walla heads but if I can save $1000 or more having mine fixed why not.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Are the 2 piece timing covers worth buying? Do they have any support for the cam button? I had to weld a plate on the back of my Milodon cover to hold the cam back.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The only time that I used a two piece cover,it leaked after a short time.Unless it's a dedicated track engine where cam timing changes or cam replacements are likely,no they aren't worth it.Your Mildoon cover should be fine,Steve.

Last edited:

sycsteve

Well Known Member
The only time that I used a two piece cover,it leaked after a short time.Unless it's a dedicated track engine where cam timing changes or cam replacements are likely,no they aren't worth it.Your Mildoon caver should be fine,Steve.

Thanks. That's kind of what I figured.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I am looking for some recommendations on piston rings. I'm not sure what brand Show Cars sold me only that they were moly file fit rings. I have the KB Icon forged pistons .060 over. 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 rings.
My friend was trying to tell me not to use moly rings for the street. I don't see why it would hurt.
Unless I end up having to buy a whole set of pistons. Summit sells KB Icon sets with rings. I'm assuming thats what I got from show cars.

Last edited:

sycsteve

Well Known Member

I am building it myself this time. Having a different shop sleeve and deck the block this time though. I'm looking at Sealed Power plasma moly rings. I'll probably go by the manufacturers specs for the gap. I have not checked what Auto Machine has the rings gaped at yet.
Big Jim told me I'm not smart enough or a qualified machinist so I shouldn't be building it lol. I don't care. I won't be the first guy in history to build an engine.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
On my last engine build they (ring manufacturer) spect normally aspirated .017 ring gap, if I were to add a power Adder nitrous ProCharger or boost they said to increase the gap by .005/.007. And use copper coated head gaskets. Depending on how much boost would need to o-ring the heads and the block, this would eliminate the head gasket from pushing out from between the Block in the head. When you file fit your rings and you do a leak down test it makes a big difference on percentage bypass through the Rings compared to non file two FIT rings. Yes file fit rings are good choice and they match each cylinder so if its .001/.002 difference you don't lose any performance and your leakdown stays the same. Good luck on your build and sorry to hear about your valve issue.:good be sure to take your time and measure often it's kind of hard to put back material if you take too much off and get too much ring Gap!:facepalm:sick

Last edited: