'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Got my heads back yesterday and going to be checking the valve to piston clearance tonight. What is safe on these engines with hydraulic lifters?

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I'm trying to lean it my carb a little. It is getting a lot of soot in the exhaust and when I get on it it looks like a diesel truck.
I went Dow two jet sized on both primarily and secondary jet but it ran crappy. Maybe I should bring it to someone. This is what I have. 850 cfm.

20191018_194527.jpg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't know how big your cam is but if your vacuum on the intake is reading about 17 18 PSI you should have a 65 or 6.5 power valve.
If it's a big Cam and you have less vacuum in your reading about 8 to 10 psi of vacuum you should have in a 35 or 3.5 power valve....

sycsteve

Well Known Member
How big is this engine?
Have you checked your vacuum readings at idle and driving, could be the wrong power valve.

Yes it is a 440 now. It has never backfired through the carb. Maybe the boosters are a little to big?
I went down 2 jet sized and it ran worse.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I don't know how big your cam is but if your vacuum on the intake is reading about 17 18 PSI you should have a 65 or 6.5 power valve.
If it's a big Cam and you have less vacuum in your reading about 8 to 10 psi of vacuum you should have in a 35 or 3.5 power valve....

The cam is under 600 lift. Never checked the vacuum but my power breaks work well.
I'll have to get a vacuum tester.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I bought some hinges for my 61 on Ebay but they are pretty bent up. Not as described. As far as I know bent hinges cant properly be repaired. I paid $81 for them. Not sure if anything is worth keeping accept the hood mount part. I might be able to repair one set I have with the hood mount part from them.
The tires are on my new project 81 GMC Stepside short bed. I drove my dads fleet side short bed 3 speed manual in high school.

20200129_184250.jpg20200129_184243.jpg20200129_184140.jpg20200129_184152.jpg20200129_184208.jpg20200129_184226.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
90 % of the used hinges being sold are worn out, the rivets are almost always worn out.
I have had over 20 sets of 62 hinges and a 1/2 dozen 61 hinges, all but one set had bad rivets.
Some of these sets were damaged in addition to having bad rivets.
Rivets that move in vise in their hinge points mean that the hinges will not hold up the hood and/or the hood will not adjust correctly.

I have been replacing all the rivets ( and bad sections on used hinges) and then zinc plating in gold color( like the originals) a group of my 1961 & 1962 hinges, including restoring the hinge springs( bead blasted open and repainting them black.

Paul

sycsteve

Well Known Member
90 % of the used hinges being sold are worn out, the rivets are almost always worn out.
I have had over 20 sets of 62 hinges and a 1/2 dozen 61 hinges, all but one set had bad rivets.
Some of these sets were damaged in addition to having bad rivets.
Rivets that move in vise in their hinge points mean that the hinges will not hold up the hood and/or the hood will not adjust correctly.

I have been replacing all the rivets ( and bad sections on used hinges) and then zinc plating in gold color( like the originals) a group of my 1961 & 1962 hinges, including restoring the hinge springs( bead blasted open and repainting them black.

Paul

I was going to send a set to Wilson Antique Car Parts in Virginia for rebuilding. Both my sets have issues though. Thought out of the 3 sets I could build one good set.