'61 Biscayne Stroked 348/440c.i. My First Restoration

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The eagle rods that are in the 460 inch engine had about 10,000 miles on them.
When I freshened it up, the big end of the rods were .008 to .010 out of round.
I sure hope your machinist checked yours.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
It must have been the first shop that cleaned up the big ends of the rods.
Randy at Percision Engine Rebuilders said I didn't ask him to. He told me to check for foreign materials on surfaces and the edges of the mating surface and scotch brite the backs of the berings if I had to.
I had to file the the mating surface. At .0020 now.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Been looking at Comp roller cam buttons. The first shop Auto Machine had this button in there with these shims jammed in behind them.
Any suggestions on the roller buttons?

20190817_103716.jpg

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I personally like the roller brg.type,but there's nothing wrong at all with what you have there,Steve.

Would I need the small block roller button?
They didnt have it shimmed correctly any way. I had to modify my timing cover to keep it from flexing and the button was to short.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Last time I assembled the engine I changed my oil pump spring from purple to yellow. 70 lbs to 50 lbs. Am I better off with the purple spring? I know the dry pan thing is just a myth.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Last time I assembled the engine I changed my oil pump spring from purple to yellow. 70 lbs to 50 lbs. Am I better off with the purple spring? I know the dry pan thing is just a myth.
70 PSI won't hurt anything but then neither will 50.Leave it as is.As to the rings,I use an old type "band'style ring compressor turned up side down.Works like a charm.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Its much easier to keep the oil ring expander butted together properly if you locate the butted ends to the 6:00 o-clock position on the piston. That way that will install in the 16 degree angle deck of the blocks cylinder first, keeping it aligned and properly butted. If you position the butted ends at 12:00 o-clock they would try to pop out and overlapp as you pushed the piston into the cylinder. As for ring installation , the angle deck makes it fairly easy to slowly work the rings with your fingers to install the pistons. I'm sure the band style of compressor would work good also.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Its much easier to keep the oil ring expander butted together properly if you locate the butted ends to the 6:00 o-clock position on the piston. That way that will install in the 16 degree angle deck of the blocks cylinder first, keeping it aligned and properly butted. If you position the butted ends at 12:00 o-clock they would try to pop out and overlapp as you pushed the piston into the cylinder. As for ring installation , the angle deck makes it fairly easy to slowly work the rings with your fingers to install the pistons. I'm sure the band style of compressor would work good also.

I'll try that too. Had them at 2 o clock.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
Are the Cometic MLS gaskets a waste to money? I was looking at the C5219-027 gaskets from summit. They have a .027" compressed thickness.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If your post about the piston is correct at .0022 down that gasket will be too thin.You'll need the .040 gaskets.Cometic's are about the only gaskets that you can use on a build like this.ALL the other gaskets are too thick for some unknown reason.If it's .022 down then yes use the .027.

sycsteve

Well Known Member
If your post about the piston is correct at .0022 down that gasket will be too thin.You'll need the .040 gaskets.Cometic's are about the only gaskets that you can use on a build like this.ALL the other gaskets are too thick for some unknown reason.If it's .022 down then yes use the .027.

Thanks. Think I added one to many zeroes .