'61 Bubbletop : windshield and backglass blue tint

on my '61 bubbletop,the windshield and backglass need a replacement.It is possible to buy blue tint replacement glass? The vendors I checked sell only green tint....
:dunno2

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If your windshield is original to the vehicle it should have a LOF etching on the passenger side lower corner. If that etching says EZI then the windshield is a green tint with blue shade at the top. On the cowl tag on the firewall in the ACC location if it says EZI then all the glass in the vehicle is green tint but, if it says EZW then only the windshield is tinted.
On the back glass, a reproduction backglass is available but it does not have the same bubble in the shape of the glass as a original and again it is a green shade.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No such thing as blue OEM glass. Many, many people look at EZE green tint and call it blue. I use to sell glass and heard that all the time.
Just look at the "bug" if it's OEM and if it says EZE it's EZE which is a light green tint. "Bug" is what the little logos on glass are called in the industry. Clear won't say anything other then LOF, which is the manufactuer and a date code.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your car could have come original with all clear or all tint or just tint windshield with all other clear. Just the windshield tinted with all other clear was common.

Ok,
thank you! So it MUST be green,when there was no blue tint.
On Mercedes cars from the late'60s/early '70s there is clear/no tint,gray tint blue tint and green tint-so I was about shure its blue-maybe the interior color blue suggest this.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Get a piece of white A4 paper and place it half way behind the glass and compare the two colours.

my guess is the side glass is clear, the blue effect is being reflected from the trim colour.

my 61 has full green tint "EZE", my trim is green and it accentuates the green tint, my 64 has full green tint, but with tan/beige interior so the tint does not stand out as much.

bobs409

Administrator
The companies don't seem to carry all the versions at least not when I replaced the one on my 63. I wanted clear glass with no tinted band at the top. My only choice was the green shaded glass with the blue at the top. Probably not enough demand to stock all the different types. :(

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The companies don't seem to carry all the versions at least not when I replaced the one on my 63. I wanted clear glass with no tinted band at the top. My only choice was the green shaded glass with the blue at the top. Probably not enough demand to stock all the different types. :(

They're all made, it just depends on what the company had in stock when you called them. Keeping in mind that all glass is now aftermarket, manufactured by a few companies, usually any one glass shop will not have every color in stock, they will stock what they think sells the most.