'61 Chevy vs. Ford

troublemaker427

Well Known Member
Here is the 1961 Ford I'm restoring right now. Body is done now the frame has been blasted and is being painted. It is a 390-401 and is being built as a very period correct Optional Super Stock car as if it was 1961. No visible modern parts.

Attachments

• P3230004.JPG
    P3230004.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 99
  • P3230003.JPG
    P3230003.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 103
  • P3170026.JPG
    P3170026.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 97

troublemaker427

Well Known Member
Thanks guys!! I'm building this car with my Dad who also has a 1961 Ford 390-401 but his is a Starliner, mine is the cheap Fairlane bodystyle. This is the last year for the Fairlane to be a fullsize car, '62 they became an intermediate. Dad bought his first Starliner 390-401 new in 1961 at age 19. He raced it in S/S and did quite well with support from a local dealer. He sold it to his brother in '65 who promptly wrecked it. Dad always wanted another one and bought his current car in 1987.

I always wanted a '61 Hipo myself and really like the no nonsense, no option type cars. I found this car in Texas, it never left Abilene until I bought it and shipped to Maryland. It was still in original paint with minimal rust but beat up. Lots of dents and the interior was cooked from the southwest sun.

I'm building it as a period correct 1961 Optional Super Stock car and plan to race it a bit. It will have 7" cheater slicks, Traction Master bars and a early Ford Super Duty hood scoop. The front is going to be raised and the rear dropped for the period look.

I have a few friends who already have period looking Super Stock cars. We've talked about getting a group of us together to recreate the early 1960's S/S racing. Not Nostalgia Super Stock but "Original Super Stock" OS/S .

Anyone have a W-motor car that would be interested in doing this type of racing? It would be for 1960-1964 full size cars built to represent the racing of the era. I've written a set of preliminary rules to get us started. I've had input from guys who own all different makes. I used a combination of original NHRA rule books from the era and the Pure Stock Muscle Car drag rules. Nothing is cut in stone yet and we have not had an event. We want to make this racing more about representing the era and having fun. There would be no purse just trophies and a good time. Let me know if anyone is interested and I can email you the rules.

Thanks for the compliments on my car. I may start a project car thread for it if you guys don't mind a Ford there.

Here is a car from Indy in 1961 that is my inspiration....1590471.png

Thanks

Last edited:

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jody, I think this is a great idea. I know my car would be outside the rules in its current state, but I'd like a set of rules if you have any. That was my original plan for this car several years back.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I always wanted a '61 Hipo myself and really like the no nonsense, no option type of cars.

Me too!

I'm building it as a period correct 1961 Optional Super Stock car and plan to race it a bit. It will have 7" cheater slicks, Traction Master bars and a early Ford Super Duty hood scoop. The front is going to be raised and the rear dropped for the period look.

Me too!

I have a few friends who already have period looking Super Stock cars. We've talked about getting a group of us together to recreate the early 1960's S/S racing. Not Nostalgia Super Stock but "Original Super Stock" OS/S .

Great idea. That '60-'64 era is my favorite, when all the stockers were nose up with plain ol steel wheels, and three pedals. NSS is cool but man the rules for appearance are super loose. New style aluminum wheels, almost all those mopars have wheel tubs and monster tires, and none of em have a stick:doh

Anyone have a W-motor car that would be interested in doing this type of racing? It would be for 1960-1964 full size cars built to represent the racing of the era. I've written a set of preliminary rules to get us started. I've had input from guys who own all different makes. I used a combination of original NHRA rule books from the era and the Pure Stock Muscle Car drag rules.

Sounds like a great time. All these nostalgia events are hundreds of miles from where I live:(

I really dig your 61 tho, and the inspiration for building it. Also cool that Ford hit the 400hp mark in '61, did not know that.