61 heater box diverter valve thing

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey guys, what is the valve thing on the firewall part of the heater on my 61? How is it supposed to be plumbed? It looks like there should be 4 heater hoses.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
might not be too clear but there is a "H" line between the hoses. Let me know if you need a better photo. Don't laugh at those temporary air cleaner pots as the original type is back on. Actually with the original valve covers also.
Robert
IMG_3527.JPG

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
That "valve thingy" is the hot water shut off valve used on the deluxe heater in '61 and all of the '62 car heaters. The "H" pipe shown in Robert's photo near the inner fender is a balance tube that relieves pressure on the hot water valve when it is in the closed position, allowing the coolant flow to recirculate and bypass the heater core. I have seen many of these balance tubes removed from the system, probably because they were rotted and leaked.

Last edited:

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
So both hoses run from the motor to the "H" , then the big hose continues to the heater core and the small one to the valve. Then a short hose runs from the heater core to the valve?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think this shows it pretty well.For the C hose I just found a hose that had the right shape at the Auto parts store and cut the ends off.

heater hoses 2.jpg heater hoses 1.jpg heater hoses 3.jpg

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Clears it up nicely, thanks Dan. Thanks for the explanation guys! I guess Show Cars or someone sells the "H".

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
There was a TSB to install the H pipe due to customer complaints of gurgling in the system.

Last edited: