61 Impala 409/straight axle in Mpls 1968

starsailing1

Supporting Member 1
Back in Mid sixties I worked at the gas station at the Mpls Navel Air station. One of the Swabbies had this great looking white 61 Imp 409 with a straight axle on it. Used to watch him crank it on leaving the base. Anybody know the guy? Just curious.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Not familiar with that one but I saw this 62 Belair at one of the Lowes cruises last summer.

182550549-M-1.jpg

John knows these guys better than I do and he can fill in details.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dick you want me to get to the Lowe's Cruises with cars like that over there. I don't want to be embarrased:bow
robert

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This 62 belongs to Dickie Sills.The car was an original 409,4 speed car.When he restored the car he planned on using the 409.but costs,and gasser type parts for the engine kept him from doing restoring it that way.The car is a 427ci,reworked ,automatic.He has a Pontiac rear in the car.He also has a 1962 Corvair that was turned into a gasser,powered by a small block Chevy,rear wheel drive.The Corvair is the exact same color,same color upholstery,matter the fact looks like the Belairs little Brother. If you go to Lowe's web sight( http://www.lowescruise.com ) there are great pictures of both cars. John

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
I'm just a pup and unfortunately wasn't around back in the gasser days but I love the look and would like to see a revival. I'm curious though about the rear suspension. I see the ladder bars but what else was done to the rear of these cars, different springs??? And also, how did they drive on the street. I'm sure there is someone here with first hand experience. Thanks

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I too LOVE the look of these cars and I really think they are making a come back at least around me they are. I saw more out this year at shows etc than ever. I hope people continue to keep building them. I think they are great :) :clap

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The rear was an old Pontiac circle car rear.It is a posi rear.The rear springs are front coil springs fitted in.The rear does have an adjustment like the Nascar rears,where heigth is done by tightening bolts in trunk of car.The "X" frame is notched out at the rear of the X,so a 1 piece drive shaft can be used.I know the wheel wells were moved an inch or so towards the front to give clearance. John

starsailing1

Supporting Member 1
No problem, This is great!

I think think this is a blast . So many 348/409's so little time. We have a 55 chev 409 straight axle about a mile from where I live. I'l try to get him on this site. Stripped down bare, no interior but tach and lightweight seats. Really flies, primer paint. If I had the money I would go solid axle on my 58!
Maybe someone, sometime will remember the white 61/409 at the navy base.

SpeedyV10

I think think this is a blast . So many 348/409's so little time. We have a 55 chev 409 straight axle about a mile from where I live. I'l try to get him on this site. Stripped down bare, no interior but tach and lightweight seats. Really flies, primer paint. If I had the money I would go solid axle on my 58!
Maybe someone, sometime will remember the white 61/409 at the navy base.

We'll have to ask a few of the oldtimers down at Porky's or in Hastings this summer about the straight axle 61.

I think I recognize your 58. Is it the one with the wide whites and the 3 deuces that I always see crusing around Univ. Ave? Nice ride!!!