61 impala bubbletop

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
don, I really don't know...so much for rust free original paint...it's got some light surface rust under a high quality respray upon further inspection but the car is rock solid and has no cancer...the brake light on the dash is talkin to me...I saw a 61 at the rod run and it was burnt copper on top and satin black on the sides...dropped about 4 inches with meats on the back has stuck in my mind for years...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
My 63 only has brake light for to warn emergency brake is on. It will flash when e brake is on. There is no other brake light to indicate a brake system failure ,unless 61 was different. If not you just have a brake system problem not relating to flash brake light. This make sense?

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
it sure does don, I'll look for a mechanical switch when I get it up on the lift...the brakes are poo, just like the color of the car...it stops but not road worthy by any means...I'm hitting the sack fellas, enjoy your evening...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
good point don, the ebrake is hooked up but has no tension on it when applied...a little wrenching will tighten it all up...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Just pull e brake handle release and at the same time pull the e brake petal back to the top of travel. I'f switch is in working order and working ,flashing light should go out.As you say the cable is probably too loose and that might solve the full release of e brake petal. Your two rear individual cables could be frozen and not releasing also, causing the whole problem. Several things to check.

Last edited:

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've pulled the drums to find new shoes but they never turned the drums...I also see a new brake drum...brakes mush have froze up sitting for so long...not a speck of rust on the bottom side of the car...lots of undercoating saved this car from rotting it seems...found the brake switch and sure enough noting it touching when the ebrake is engaged...what is supposed to depress this button switch in order to turn the light off, hard to see, mebbe easier to remove the assembly and figure out what is going on...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It isn't supposed to engage the mechanism when the brake is engaged,but when the brake is disengaged.When the pedal is all the way to the top,it contacts the switch opening the points and turning the light off.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I misworded my reply...nothing is touching the brake switch button when it is in the released mode...I can't see what should be touching it from underneath...I am assuming the easy way to access it is to remove the pedal assembly...you guys know all the tricks...robert, I'm thinking sort of a marina blue from 66 colors, mebbe lighter...rob

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I got under the dash and see that the only way to deactivate the swith is to tighten the ebrake cables prior to the ones that feed the brake drums...from what I see after scaling off the grease and road grime is very little adjustment left...the calbe leading into the car has to pretty damn taught to contact the switch...