61 impala bubbletop

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
it's been a while since my 61 has gotten any attention...after replacing the intake and fuel pump it's obvious the gas tank sock is impacted with sludge...I assume the tank is just nasty so I'm gonna pull it when I free up my lift...anyone know which source would be best to purchase another tank if needed...she runs great when gas can make it to the carb...:D

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
on another note, I found a guy that is offering me a completely restored body trim package minus one fender piece for $1500...does that seem fair...no window moldings are included as mine are near mint...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Buy only the Spectra premium zinc plated gas tank( do not buy the cheap painted gray overseas made 61-64 gas tank) - The Spectra tanks are mint and will not rust. 15 years on one in my 62 impala SS hardtop, and it looks like brand new today.
Cars inc has them( were I got 5 of them over the years)
I just got a 10 % off code from them since I buy from them a lot, until July.
Send me a note on the tank I have a suggestion to save $ for you.....I bet your tank is rusted inside as much as the car has been stored.

For the 61 aluminum trim that $1500 is a good price assuming it includes all side trim and the trunk trim. Does it include the grill or headlite covers?
For my 62 impala the 6- 62 impala side trim - fenders, doors and rear 1/4’s today is at least $ 1600 (for repaired and reanodized aluminum trim) just for those 6 pieces.

Paul

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
no front trim is included paul, just the back and the sides minus one fender...all reworked and restored OEM pieces...the fellas name is dave kossman, he's been restoring trim for years...he's quite proud of himself it seems...I'd just need to have my fender trim done to have a full new set...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Dave Kosmann has done trim for at least 5 - 62’s for me, grills, hood lip moldings, side interior trim, headlite covers.
He does very, very nice work. Very hard to find any imperfections in his work. I have NOS 62 trim, and his restored aluminum trim, is as good as and “better than NOS”.
My 62’s ( 5 of the)he has done have scored 987 to 993 points out of a 1000 - at late great Chevy shows judged by 3 judges with zero points deducted for trim.
He was going to do another set of trim for me, I just have not sent the trim to him.

Paul

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Looks like a 61 that was here in Chester, Va about 20 years ago. I remember it having some work done on a front fender, I think was the right fender. I remember the car setting in the guys driveway with the trim off the fender. Then it disappeared, never saw it again

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
tommy, this car did have front right damage, the bumper has a twist in it so it very well may be the same car...found a bumper end, it's sitting in a pile of parts waiting for this cars turn to be worked on...I got it in kansas...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I did the deal on the body moldings, $1500 for the body set but he's short a fender spear so I'll be sending him mine...seemed a little difficult sorting thru what was said and what was inferred...kinda feel my butt begin to pucker after getting off the phone...I guess I should have "assumed" he wanted my trim as part of the deal...after 2 weeks of texting and talking this arises...I think I'll work on the silver surfer camaro tomorrow to clear my mind

Junky

Well Known Member
Most of the people that do this work, want your old moldings in exchange, plus the money. That is the only way that they can stay in business. At Carlisle one year, I saw a grown man almost cry as he handed over the money for the restored moldings, only to learn that there was an additional core charge, that was higher than the cost of the restored moldings. At that point, the buyer asked for his money back, and walked away shaking his head. Needless to say, the seller was careful not to mention the cost of the "cores". I have purchased some used 1962 moldings at Carlisle, hoping that I will never need them, but they were a lot less expensive than buying NOS moldings. When I think about all the cars that were crushed in a local yard 10 years ago, and all the good usable parts that were lost, it is sickening. Now, I save anything that I replace on the car, in the event that I might need it later on.