61 impala hood insulation

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Hood insulation on a 1961 impala was glued in on all models except the convertible, the convertibles did not get hood insulation

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If your planning on driving the car at all don't put the insulation in, it won't stay in. The Bel Air and Biscayne's never came with the insulation either.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Checked Assembly Manual 1961 and 1963..........page on installation of hood insulation shows all 1700 and 1800 series only got the insulation. That's Impala 6 banger and V8's. So Belair and Biscaynes are left out by default!! I thought 6 cylinder's didn't get it but they do in the Impala series. I scanned the page but can't post it.

61 tripps

Well Known Member
I don't want to put in the insulation, but it's covering up a defect. Yes, the proper thing to do is repair the defect!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Checked Assembly Manual 1961 and 1963..........page on installation of hood insulation shows all 1700 and 1800 series only got the insulation. That's Impala 6 banger and V8's. So Belair and Biscaynes are left out by default!! I thought 6 cylinder's didn't get it but they do in the Impala series. I scanned the page but can't post it.
Phil,
I think you need to look again, convertibles didn't get the hood pad

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
OK.....will someone with a 61-64 convertible please post the first 5 digits of your VIN please??????

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Ronny. The Assembly Manual says the insulation was used on 17-1811 35 37 39 45 69 models. So ONCE AGAIN...Tommy is right since 67 wasn't shown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now............why would a convertible NOT have the insulation???? I always thought it was heat generated by V8 engines. Why did a 6 need insulation??????? Man.............glad I'm trying to retire..........................

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
There was no need for the convertible to have the hood pad, it was noise reduction. In those days the convertibles were so noisy that the pad would have been wasted. It was all about money, they saved a couple of dollars on each convertible

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
It was meant to be sound deadner to quite the engine noise. The converts were so noisy going down the road, it really didn't matter if the hood was padded or not. My '62 Impala 6 banger was padded.