61 Impala noisy Power steering

Triple900

just took possession of a 61 Impala with a 409. when the motor gets hot ( so I am assuming everything else) there is a noise when the steering wheel is turned right or left as the car drives . Not the sound of a loose belt ( the belt is tight) . Could this be a bearing in the pump? how to diagnose? thanks

Triple900

Most of the articles on the internet discuss air in the system. When the system is cold it works fine. so I added some synthetic this morning to make sure it was full . in the garage there wasn't any noise. If the noise comes back when hot then I will flush system and fill with full synthetic fluid

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
These old pumps were designed to run ATF.Often the noise that you describe is caused by someone letting the pump run too low causing pump damage.If the synthetic fluid quiets it down,fine.If not,replace the pump.and use ATF type A.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I replaced my PS Pump, last month. Could NOT, find Type A ATF.:doh I found Type FA at NAPA. It works perfect, and doesn't leak.:danceFA is for Ford's, but I don't think it matters.