61 Impala SS 409 at Mecum Chicago

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Tommy.....I remember reading in my factory Chevrolet literature.....that all white 61 Impalas had black painted inserts regardless of what color the interiors were. Did I remember wrong????

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Did I remember wrong????[/QUOTE]

Wasn't it Nolan Ryan that said........"I mis-remembered".........:confused

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Tommy.....I remember reading in my factory Chevrolet literature.....that all white 61 Impalas had black painted inserts regardless of what color the interiors were. Did I remember wrong????
Phil, yeah, I think you "misremembered ", I forget exactly what the criteria was to get the black stripe but my white 61 ss had a red stripe and it had red interior. I do recall that if the car was anything other than white and it was two tone the stripe was the color of the roof.

4spd409

Well Known Member
I think that the early white cars had a black insert but later on you could get a few different colors to match the interior. The power brake booster is a bendix unit that was dealer installed. The factory unit that was a mandatory SS item was a Delco-Moraine unit.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I think that the early white cars had a black insert but later on you could get a few different colors to match the interior. The power brake booster is a bendix unit that was dealer installed. The factory unit that was a mandatory SS item was a Delco-Moraine unit.
You sure have a lot of useful information!!!!! You joined in 2003 and have only posted 16 times. Jump in and give us more of your brain power!!!!!!!