62 2dr-Post Quarter-glass channel confusion

swizcore

I'm having a heck of a time understanding the tail-end sweep shape on the quarter glass in regards to the window channel felt.

The channel felt at the tail-end of the glass ends up getting pushed into the retainer by the glass when it is rolled up all the way.

It looks like if the glass didnt have that swept out tail shape, it would be fine but it's the original glass shape, so obviously I'm doing something incorrectly.

The glass is perfectly centered into the opening and circumference of the glass is seated well into the channel felt.

Retainer that the channel felt is getting pushed back into:

Glass tail-end sweep that is pushing the channel back into the above retainer:

Interior view of the issue:

Exterior view of the issue:

The only thing I have thought of so far to rectify this is cutting the center of the glass felt channel out where it sits inside the retainer piece at the til of the glass. This would allow that swept tail on the glass to move into that retainer as the glass rolls all the way up without pushing the channel back into the void.

That can't be the solution though, it's hacky.

Please advise.
Thanks

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I did this about a year ago on my 61. If I remember right, the bottom 3-4” of that window channel sorta ‘floats’ to give that hump on the bottom of the glass somewhere to go. Meaning, the bottom of the fur channel extends 3-4” below where the channel on the body of the car stops, and where the hump in the glass ends up with the window rolled up all the way....I did not have this issue and our windows, regs, and channel pieces are all the same:dunno

Might be off my rocker. Hope that helps.

swizcore

I did this about a year ago on my 61. If I remember right, the bottom 3-4” of that window channel sorta ‘floats’ to give that hump on the bottom of the glass somewhere to go. Meaning, the bottom of the fur channel extends 3-4” below where the channel on the body of the car stops, and where the hump in the glass ends up with the window rolled up all the way....I did not have this issue and our windows, regs, and channel pieces are all the same:dunno

Might be off my rocker. Hope that helps.

So did you not secure your beaded-felt channel to the "snap in" metal channel guide? So it "floats" back into it as the window rolls up then moves back out of the retainer so the stainless bead is visible again when you roll it down?

The part that totally confuses me is the metal retainer has staple holes in the sides where the original felt was actually stapled on the sides to it. This is what made me think maybe the center of the channel is just supposed to be cut out inside the retainer for the glass tail to move into the channel without pulling the stainless bead back into the channel, out of view...

Thanks for the response!

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
So did you not secure your beaded-felt channel to the "snap in" metal channel guide? So it "floats" back into it as the window rolls up then moves back out of the retainer so the stainless bead is visible again when you roll it down?

The part that totally confuses me is the metal retainer has staple holes in the sides where the original felt was actually stapled on the sides to it. This is what made me think maybe the center of the channel is just supposed to be cut out inside the retainer for the glass tail to move into the channel without pulling the stainless bead back into the channel, out of view...

Thanks for the response!

Dang that’s a good question...I remember those staples now that you mention em, and I’m pretty sure I put those back in as the factory did, four on each bracket if I remember right...I know I didn’t take the cutoff wheel to anything...That car is stashed in my dads barn at the moment but I’m going down there today I’ll look at it again. Try to get back to you later today if no one else chimes in.

swizcore

Dang that’s a good question...I remember those staples now that you mention em, and I’m pretty sure I put those back in as the factory did, four on each bracket if I remember right...I know I didn’t take the cutoff wheel to anything...That car is stashed in my dads barn at the moment but I’m going down there today I’ll look at it again. Try to get back to you later today if no one else chimes in.

Really appreciate that. It's driving me nuts and got me at a stand-still till I figure it out.

Also, do you remember there being a gap between the outer beltline window-scrape rubber and the glass? It looks like I'll need to use a spacer between the top glass roller channel mount and the body to push the glass out toward the body a touch.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Also, do you remember there being a gap between the outer beltline window-scrape rubber and the glass? It looks like I'll need to use a spacer between the top glass roller channel mount and the body to push the glass out toward the body a touch.

Yes there is a gap, about 1/4”. The window channel rubber seals tight to it when the glass is all the way up.

You’re gonna be disappointed tho, cause when I looked at my car I didn’t see anything that would be of help to you. With the rear interior panel on, and the outer rubber window scraper thingy on, I can’t see anything back there. No offense but I don’t wanna take it apart.

My only suggestion would be to slide the window channel forward on the glass if you can, maybe that’ll help....

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You might ask model's on this site if he could get a picture of his . He has 2 dr sedan also

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have a 61 setting with the window out but still has the fussy in it I could take a picture if that helps.

swizcore

No sweat guys.

I talked to an older car guy at the local auto store (one of the few independent stores left), and he assured me that my description of what I thought was the solution, is what GM would have done originally...

So I did end up slitting the flat bottom of the channel felt inside of that metal "snap-in" retainer at the tail and using 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive on the stainless beaded sides to the retainer, with the flat bottom of the channel moving freely along the window edge as it rolls up and down. Works well and the stainless beaded edge remains stationary as it should.

My gap from the exterior beltline window scraper rubber was too distant for the OEM molding to actually touch the window, not sure what caused this issue. The window channel felt is as tight to the body as it can get, therefore the window as close to the body as possible and it was still too wide a gap for the OEM molding. I ordered a variant with a wider stainless "shoulder" at the body and a longer rubber scraper to reach the glass. Should be ideal.

swizcore

Just an update regarding the gap between the body and the glass that the beltline trim from Hubbards wasn't bridging.

I got these wider beltline pieces from Restoration Specialties that do bridge the gap and have the ideal stainless body trim edge I was looking for. I got two 8' sticks so I can really tailor the ends. Pretty happy about finding these.

Hubbards kit for 62 Sedan

Restoration Specialties