62 409 4 Speed

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gav, Who put the second bracket on the rear housing? If you looked at my thread then you know the bracket has to be mounted further up on the pumpkin housing. I made my own brackets it was much easier then trying to modify a right hand bracket which seems to be what is offered by the aftermarket.

Olds Rear End Drivers Upper Bracket.jpg Olds Rear End Upper Brackets Front.jpg Olds Rear End Fit 3.jpg Olds Rear End Fit 1.jpg

Last edited:

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey
Gav, Who put the second bracket on the rear housing? If you looked at my thread then you know the bracket has to be mounted further up on the pumpkin housing. I made my own brackets it was much easier then trying to modify a right hand bracket which seems to be what is offered by the aftermarket.

View attachment 38480 View attachment 38481 View attachment 38482 View attachment 38483
Hey Dan,
Bracket is just being held in place with the threaded rod that's going through it, it's not welded in place.
Yes your thread was what I was referring to with how you made your own brackets and where it really needs to sit. Very nice job by the way.

cheers
Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So today i put the 409 in to the chassis and looks good. Put it mainly to see what work was going to be needed to done on the headers and for the fact that i have reached my limitations of body work talents (with Steve's help) and body should be off next week to a top local guy to do the rest of the body work.
I have read other posts on Jardine headers with fitment and i have the large tube 2" to 2-1/8" to 2-1/4" to 3-1/2" collectors. Not a lot to do but still a little annoying none the less for what we pay for them these days.

Gav

Attachments

• IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0431.JPG
    IMG_0431.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 125

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
So today i put the 409 in to the chassis and looks good. Put it mainly to see what work was going to be needed to done on the headers and for the fact that i have reached my limitations of body work talents (with Steve's help) and body should be off next week to a top local guy to do the rest of the body work.
I have read other posts on Jardine headers with fitment and i have the large tube 2" to 2-1/8" to 2-1/4" to 3-1/2" collectors. Not a lot to do but still a little annoying none the less for what we pay for them these days.

Gav
Looking good

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
So the headers need enough "adjustment" not to get coated before fitting?

Skip
I've had a look at them with Gav and they either need heat or a couple of cuts to sort the issues
So i would not coat them prior to fitting at all
We have a tentative plan and will take some photos but will be around 10 days away

Steve

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I generally don't coat first but was hoping:) I have had few sets of any brand any car headers that actually fit without "adjustment" with a BFH. I have 3 sets of the same Hooker for Pontiacs and all hit different spots.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My Hookers I bought back in the 90's fit perfect and I just coated them 5 years ago. Look good.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So i started dismantling the dash today to get it ready for blasting and have a couple of questions that someone my be able to answer for me.
On the below dash trim picture and under the cigarette lighter it has something about "1962 Chevrolet _ 9 _ _ _" Can any advise what the missing letters bit might be and is this from the factory? Any one know if there are replacements?
upload_2015-11-13_20-43-33.jpeg

Also at the bottom of the dash on the LH side there was a switch that i'm not sure what it's for! Possibly a speaker fader switch - Actually yes it is, had another look and this is what it is alright.

upload_2015-11-13_20-48-2.jpeg

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
HA HA, Yes it is a "S" (bloody eye sight):facepalm. So any idea as to what may have been to the right of the SS.
Not going to speculate on that one.:teehee
Thanks
Gav

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I don't think those are factory letters. That is a plastic strip with new letters/wording stamped into it.
- from a Label maker- they probably had the letters on the aluminum wear off.

Paul