62 409 4 Speed

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is that cast iron case T-10 correct for your car?
No mate it's not correct. Should be all alloy. Kinda piss me off a bit, but when at this end of the world it will do for now. Have had it fully rebuilt.
will look for correct one, one day.
Although i have read and correct me if anyone knows this is incorrect, but these T10 boxes with Cast main housing and alloy tail shaft housings are apparently stronger than the all alloy box!

Gav

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was talking with a former dealer tech from Sioux City Iowa that was around in 62. When you broke a trans under warrantee you got an aluminum one the first time. If you broke that one you got an iron case trans and it was your problem if you broke it again.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
my limitations of body work have come to an end:rub, so of she goes to a local guy. He works for a very reputable body shop in town and works from home in the weekends.
A big thanks to Steve for helping on the floors.:appl
upload_2015-11-28_20-7-45.jpeg
upload_2015-11-28_20-8-16.jpeg
upload_2015-11-28_20-8-49.jpeg

Now to start cleaning up the doors, boot lid and front fenders:crazy.

Gav

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Gav,
I thought you might be interested in having a factory tach/sender on the car ?
From looking at your firewall : If so I have the size and location on the firewall for a hole to be drilled for a factory tach and sender wiring harness.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gav,
I thought you might be interested in having a factory tach/sender on the car ?
From looking at your firewall : If so I have the size and location on the firewall for a hole to be drilled for a factory tach and sender wiring harness.
Ok that would be great, I thought it went through the hole to the right of the brake master cyl!
It does have the tach and sender.

Cheers
Gav

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The one to the right of the master cylinder is for the wiper motor wiring harness.
The factory tach hole is located above the speedometer cable hole. I will get some better pictures of my 62's.
I have one original 62 with a factory tach hole on my 62 SS 409 convertible. I drilled the holes in my firewall on 2 of my 62's from a template I took years ago of a factory 1962 Chevy 409 -4 speed SS with a factory tach and a backup light hole.
My template also included the power seat, power windows and power top hole(These three are the same hole)

I see a factory backup light hole(for factory 4 speed cars) in your firewall, but do not see the factory tach wiring hole.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That is the location, they do not show the speedometer hole on the drawing but that puts the hole right above the speedometer hole.
I do not agree with the hole size. The tach wiring harness fits better
with a 1/2" diameter hole. Also I drill the holes in my firewalls with a stepped drill bit -they drill
the holes with very smooth edges vs a std drill bit.

Paul

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is the location, they do not show the speedometer hole on the drawing but that puts the hole right above the speedometer hole.
I do not agree with the hole size. The tach wiring harness fits better
with a 1/2" diameter hole. Also I drill the holes in my firewalls with a stepped drill bit -they drill
the holes with very smooth edges vs a std drill bit.

Paul
Cheers Paul.

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So it has been some time since i have posted anything on my 62 (actually a BLOODY LONG TIME). To date, the lower body work is all complete with the underside epoxy primed and under sealed with the rest of the inner car and fire wall in epoxy.
This weekend i dropped the body back on the chassis and started to level and shim up.

Next phase will be back to the body guy in Feb next year to fit new roof drip rails and some rust holes under the drip rails, a bit of work on guards doors and bonnet and paint the firewall. Chassis has been completed for some time.
I'm also trying to finish putting a fence around our new home, a deck for the house, finish the 348 for the 59 wagon, carry on with the 62 AND THEN maybe start on the 58 pickup, Oh and work in between all this :brow

IMG_1374.jpgIMG_1375.jpgIMG_1376.jpgIMG_1315.JPG

Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So its been some time since an update and with waiting for the panel guy and then throw in Covid, things really have been long winded on this project.
Well FINALLY, the car went back to the panel guy last weekend and he has started on it already. First job being under taken is to replace the drip rails and in order to do so he has opted to to take the roof skin off. Today I was around there sandblasting the roof frame and priming it.

Needing full door skins for both doors, I did look at Cars Inc 2 or 3 years ago and they were real poor quality. Other wise if there are any real straight & rust free doors out there then let me know.
I have a bunch of stuff in transit to the shipping company now, so can easily have added to that. Something closer to LA would be great.
IMG_2200.jpgIMG_2201.jpgIMG_2241.jpg
IMG_2239.jpgIMG_2240.jpg

Gav