62 B/FX Nova

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Last year, when Robert and I were traveling home from our Southwest road trip, one of our stops was Rusty Symmes garage. Rusty was beginning a new project. A 62 Nova wagon B/FX car. IT"S DONE!! Take a look!

Here's the car. First class like everything Rusty does!

a2d0a38c.jpg

The 327 F. I. Engine.

90310f27.jpg

While we're talking about Rusty's cars. How would you like both a 62 B/FXer in your garage AND a 62 aluminum front end A/FX big brother for it??? Gotta be the way to go, right?

5a51d973.jpg

And the power for the Belair!

e44625ba.jpg

Both cars... yup...
if I won the lottery:crazy

Mr. Symmes not only does the cars beautifully, but in very good taste as well:bow
( doesn't seem to be too many 20 inch wheels mounted on broken suspension in his garage;) )

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My local running buddy is currently building a 66 Nova wagon. I just sent thim the link for inspiration.:dance

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's interesting to note that while Don Nicholson had TWO entries at the 1962 NHRA Winternationals . . . . .his famous '62 409 Bel Air Sport Coupe and the '62 Chevy II Station Wagon with the 327-360 HP Fuellie engine, that the Chevy II station wagon was about 4 Tenths faster than his event-winning 409 Bel Air!

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
In 1968 I was building a 62 Nova D/Gas but never got
it finished...........:bang
Rusty - I think I'm in love.........:love

:cheers
bj

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Mark, it's also interesting to note that Nicholson beat Strickler 12.84 to 12.55 in SS/S. The 12.55 that Strickler turned is the same ET that the B/FX of Nicholson ran. The B/FX 'er was no doubt 200 or 300 pounds lighter.
The 1962 Indy Nationals Stock Eliminator, Hayden Proffitt ran 12.83 in the heavy SS/S and Nicholson turned 12.93 in B/FX. :dunno Ain't Torque wonderful.:D

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Interesting exhaust on the 62 Belair. That is how ours stuck out on our 61. Ours was 28" long by 4". I do not think I usually see many of them like that. What I read back in the 70's it was suppose to do me good anyway. Can't say it did or did not. Never tried anything else. Seem to work OK. Nice to see another set like that. Are there many of you that are extending your exhaust and running it out to the side?