62 Bel Air Sport Coupe "to build or not to build"

Ric

I have recently drug home a 62 B top. The car is definitely worth saving but no title and the vin tags are gone. I think it's too rare to part out but what good is it with no paper work or vin plate? I guess I could get a "Home Built" vin but then it has no value. Any suggestions?

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Do you know what state it was titled in last & by who? Get that person to apply for a lost title. Cut the trans hump over the location where the vin is stamped. Take it to the DMV and get the title in your name. Make a panel slightly larger then the hole in your floor and cover the hole holding the cover down with twist lock fasteners.

Ric

Do you know what state it was titled in last & by who? Get that person to apply for a lost title. Cut the trans hump over the location where the vin is stamped. Take it to the DMV and get the title in your name. Make a panel slightly larger then the hole in your floor and cover the hole holding the cover down with twist lock fasteners.

Don't have a clue as to the last state it was registered in. The previous owner has been dead over twenty years! Where do I cut the hump for access to the vin?

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Don't have a clue as to the last state it was registered in. The previous owner has been dead over twenty years! Where do I cut the hump for access to the vin?

Ric,
I've only seen one frame with the body off so this is no guarantee all frames are stamped in the same place. I had heard X frames are stamped in two places and when we looked the numbers were where I had heard they should be, The diagram below is where we found the stamps.

658a4536.jpg

Ric

Ric,
I've only seen one frame with the body off so this is no guarantee all frames are stamped in the same place. I had heard X frames are stamped in two places and when we looked the numbers were where I had heard they should be, The diagram below is where we found the stamps.
Thanks Dick, It needs the floor pan replaced anyway so ....a hunting I will go. I don't know if S.C. will issue a title based on the vin frame stamp but it's worth a shot. Thanks again, I'll be giving updates. Ric
658a4536.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
One other option but you didn't hear it from me is to get a parts car with a good title... you know the rest. :brow

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ric,

658a4536.jpg

I always knew about the driver rear top frame rail , but not the frame close to the tranny hump. Always a great day when you learn something new:). I know that the stamping is faint and any sort of corrision on the frame make's it tough.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ric said:
I guess I could get a "Home Built" vin but then it has no value

No vehicle which requires a full rebuild will ever be worth what it cost to rebuild it... If your only intention is to build this car to sell it, then this may not be the project you want ? If you want a car to drive and enjoy then who cares what kind of title it has ? You need to decide what your goals are and then look at the project with that in mind.

Bill

Ric

I do want a driver but as with many cars in the past, at some point in time one may get tired with the ride and decide to move on to another. It would be nice to get as much of your investment back as possible. A vin plate would make things go a lot smoooother and not pass the problem on to the next guy.