62 BelAir Bubble Build - sport coupe 409

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I used the term "loosely" but what I meant was I'd plate them, not anodize them. I used this on the bike to save a bunch of Whitworth stuff:

plating!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here are the typical parts that I have zinc plated in gold zinc and silver zinc for the last 8 frame off restorations of my 1962 Chevys.
95 % of these parts in my opinion were plated from GM.
The cover for the master cylinder should be silver zinc (not gold)

Paul

Large group of 62 plated parts 003.jpgDec 08 002.jpg

TheLRZ

Well Known Member
Here are the typical parts that I have zinc plated in gold zinc and silver zinc for the last 8 frame off restorations of my 1962 Chevys.
95 % of these parts in my opinion were plated from GM.
The cover for the master cylinder should be silver zinc (not gold)

Paul

View attachment 121552View attachment 121553
Tremendous I’ll have to look for a plating spot. Until then I will attempt to plate zinc with the battery charger and roofing zinc procedure

Reactions: 327

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks good from here.
62 didn't have the PCV going to the oil fill tube.
Believe that started in 63.
The 62 had a road draft tube, no pcv, and the oil fill cover was the push on type, vented.
63 had a pcv at the back of the carb and the oil fill tube like you have, that small pipe off the oil fill tube went to a tube on the bottom of the air cleaner, connected by a small rubber hose.
A Canadian 62 283 I had had the pcv to the back of the carb and a vented oil fill cap. May have been an option to add pcv in 62 that way.
My Canadian delivered 63 vette 327 had the oil fill venting to the air cleaner.
I’m not sure if that rubber vent line at the top of the carb was used in 62, it comes from the bottom of the exhaust manifold heat tube. All this would be in the 62 assembly manual btw.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 409 you have has chrome valve covers so I guess it’s a 63 which you put in your 62, where is the hose connected from the back of the block where the road draft tube used to be?

TheLRZ

Well Known Member
1D8A4891-4752-4F76-A9D5-6BE580F5DE57.jpegB0764356-FC14-4516-B16B-7ED53D71DE83.jpeg
409 is 1964 impala
so carb would be the same

was hoping to swap out carb for this other one from an assumed 1960 348.
the engine guys couldn’t get the 64 original one to work so they tuned 409 with an edelbrock.

‘’this 348 one seemed identical until you get to the fuel input.
the 1960 one has a built in fuel filter while the 1964 one has the inline one and overflow tube.

did 1962 have the inline or in the case filter.

‘’I’m stuck

TheLRZ

Well Known Member
The 409 you have has chrome valve covers so I guess it’s a 63 which you put in your 62, where is the hose connected from the back of the block where the road draft tube used to be?
Lemme check the 62 manual.. Do not have a 64 or 60 one though