62 belair maximum wheel width and tire size

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Anyone have info on the maximum width and back spacing of 15" wheel that will fit rear of 1962 Belair with no body mods?
Also maximum 15" tire size for same?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What size is your exhaust and how is it routed now? Are you willing to have it exit in front of the rear wheels?

I've been able to run 15" x 8" with 4.5" backspacing and 255/60-15's with 2.5" exhaust that exits in the stock location, but I think I remember the exhaust guy putting some extra effort into the pipes between the tires and frame.
Changing to 4" backspacing would help with exhaust clearance a lot.
You can possibly squeeze some 275/50-15's back there too. I have done that, but if I remember correctly that was after my exhaust had been changed to exit before the wheels.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
I am running 295/50/15's on 15x8 w/ 4" back spacing. Car is lowered also, very tight, but it clears. 2.5 exhaust that comes over axle but dumps just behind axle. Exhaust built around this wheel tire combo. Sometimes get a slight rub on outside of tire to inside of wheel well on tight turns. Just enough to rub sone inner fender paint...but thats how you know you have enough tire right? :) Can post pics if you like.

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the info, think I'll try routing the exhaust in front of tire and going with 275-50 15's.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know those will fit fine with the exhaust turned out like that. I'd recommend 4.5" backspacing and an 8" wheel.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What size is your exhaust and how is it routed now? Are you willing to have it exit in front of the rear wheels?

I've been able to run 15" x 8" with 4.5" backspacing and 255/60-15's with 2.5" exhaust that exits in the stock location, but I think I remember the exhaust guy putting some extra effort into the pipes between the tires and frame.
Changing to 4" backspacing would help with exhaust clearance a lot.
You can possibly squeeze some 275/50-15's back there too. I have done that, but if I remember correctly that was after my exhaust had been changed to exit before the wheels.

Searching old posts to find the answer to the same question for my car. Would a 63 would be the same? I would like the widest rear tire and maximum backspaced rims for the ragtop without any modifications. What if I went to 16 or 17 inch rims?

Last edited:

Gus68

Well Known Member
My 62 Bel air with the exhaust in front of the wheels I am running a 10 chrome reverse with 295/50s. Can't remember the offset at the moment. Then I made sure to center the wheels in the wheel well with the panhard bar.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
All that you'll need Jeff is the 15x8 with a 4.5 back spacing Jeff.With that,you can run a 10 inch tire without much fuss,and still run the exhaust out the back like it belongs.MHRP is running a 3 inch exhaust on his 62,and the exhaust comes out behind the rear tires.

Last edited:

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I measured on the car and thought 4.25 to 4.5 would work. Of course when you look on the internet everything is in mm! Thanks for the info, I knew I could count on you guys.