62 Bubble Project

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
looks like from the photo Impala. Wrong top on it
There are two cars in the ad. I don't know why the rusty red Impala is in there but the bubble has the right top just not sure its not a converted 4 door. Thats what it looks like in the pics but not enough is shown. It couid be that is a 2 door with a 4 door rear clip welded on depending on where the seams are and not enough is shown.

409gang

Well Known Member
Wow who ever grafted that rear clip on did not get the body line on the drivers side straight, it has has a kink between the rear and the front of the 1/4 panel, POOR workmanship!!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hard to tell if there is a weld on the front windshield frame somewhere which would be there if this was a 4 door converted to a 2 door. Door post area would also be welded.

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
There are two cars in the ad. I don't know why the rusty red Impala is in there but the bubble has the right top just not sure its not a converted 4 door. Thats what it looks like in the pics but not enough is shown. It couid be that is a 2 door with a 4 door rear clip welded on depending on where the seams are and not enough is shown.
The base vehicle was definitely a 4-door. Take a look at the door jamb. That gap in the rocker is about the same amount as the difference between 2-door and 4-door front doors, and there's no vertical weld visible in the outer rocker. The A-pillars also have crudely done welds, and the roof drip rail is far rustier than the corresponding drip rail on the A-pillar.

I bet someone started this and then realized they were in over their head.

Maybe someone could salvage the bubble roof and put it on the Impala. Would certainly be a rather rusty starting point, though.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Sure looks like a very old bubble top onto a four door conversion. Too bad they didn't spend a little more time on panel cutting, alignment and welds. But, it's only metal, so anything can be fixed. :D

heddrik

Well Known Member
How would you weld the section where the back door was? Just replace entire quarter panel to make it look better? I would like to do something like this eventually.

heddrik

Well Known Member
Hmmm, never thought of that . My problem is I have a 61 Buick LeSabre 2 dr bubble for donor car, the body lines on the quarter panel look different and the lower portion of that car is very very rusted. Any creative ideas Mr DonSSDD?