62 bubble top/409

John Autry

Well Known Member
The Algon fuel injection was converted to electronic injection by Hogan Manifords. They welded in the bungs, mounted the fuel rails, and built a water bridge so I could run a thermostat. a FAST ECM will run the system. In response to Tom's question yes red is one of the more expensive colors, around $600.00 a gallon for base coat. But you will get two gallons as you mix it 1 to 1. Black is one of the cheaper colors.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
You got by pretty cheap at $600. When I restored my wife's '65 Skylark in '97, I paid $400 for a gallon of PPG Victory Red base coat. Painted a Triumph TR6 several years ago with a cheaper version of the red base coat and needed 5 double coats to cover properly. Took 6 qts of paint a British car:grumble. Cheaper paint has more solvent and less pigment. That crap was almost ready to spray right out of the can. NO BARGAIN. Can't skimp on the clearcoat either. Buy good paint !!Leo

John Autry

Well Known Member
You are right my painter friend said don't skimp on materials and use the better grades and you will get better results. A friend of mine painted his truck red with the cheaper grade paint. In less than two years it had turned and looked chalky. This was the first time I used a sealer underneath the basecoat. I used a white sealer that allowed me to use less paint to get full coverage as it had good color hold out. The color sealer you use makes a difference too. The white made the red pop.

joeboy

Thanks, your car looks great. please tell me more about it.
Thanks.It's a driver, needs a good going over. 409, dual quad, Richmond 5spd & 9inch rear.Getting ready to install 4wheel disc brakes in the coming weeks. I have owned the car 32 yrs. , was given to me by my uncle for my 17th birthday after i promised to keep in the family. The car was raced by my uncle during the early 70's here on Long Island.It sat for about 10 years before i got it, needing paint & interior. Been an ongoing project ever since , Joe

John Autry

Well Known Member
Great story. I bought my car about 5 years ago from the orginal owner. My son found and built the 409 that we now have in it. We plan to keep the car in our family from now on. Good luck with your restoration.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Joeboy, You're car is definitly SWEET !! Where abouts are ya on the Isle of Long??? Please ask your uncle if he remembers "JOINT VENTURE " '57 Chev "D" Gasser at National / Islip/West Hampton from back in the day. The picture on the left is what's in it as of today , 30 sumpin years later.

:crazy:cheers

Butch

Attachments

• PictureKodak easy share photos 693.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 693.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 15
  • PictureKodak easy share photos 698.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 698.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 19
  • PictureKodak easy share photos 702.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 702.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 18
  • PictureKodak easy share photos 1004.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 1004.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 16

joeboy

Hey Joeboy, You're car is definitly SWEET !! Where abouts are ya on the Isle of Long??? Please ask your uncle if he remembers "JOINT VENTURE " '57 Chev "D" Gasser at National / Islip/West Hampton from back in the day. The picture on the left is what's in it as of today , 30 sumpin years later.

Butch
I will ask my uncle when i see him. The car is at my dad's in Central Islip , didn't have it out much this year. I did Bald Hill once, Cedar Beach once and maybe Bellmore twice. Joe

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Did your Dad ever go to the "CHEVY SHOWDOWN" in Eisenhower Park in Westbury?? Me and my wife ran that hosting car club The Long Island Chevy Owner's association for 15 years.:hug:hide

John Autry

Well Known Member
Thanks for asking, I got everything painted (did it myself in my garage). Sprayed the interior with Lizard Skin and added EZ cool to insulate the interior. I found a pair of bucket seats and a console and had everything covered with a red SS CARS, inc. interior. My glass was really good with no scratches or pits but had de-laminated with bubbles in the middle so I added all new glass. Been working out some issues with the air ride, computer, and a oil leak. Got the air ride and computer working but still fighting the oil leak. I will wait to put the frontend on until I fix the leak as it is much easier to work on. I hope to have it done before February as I want to enter it in the Daryl Starbird show he has here in Tulsa. Happy Thanksgiving

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I hope you get it done in time for the February show, but I REALLY hope you can bring it to Great Bend Kansas in September. :beer

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
On Sept. 19 to 21st there will be a HUGE 348/409 event in Great Bend Kansas.
Here's a link to the tread...
http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?threads/348-409-national-convention-no-2.24450/
This event will mark the 10th anniversary of the big 348/409 convention held in 2004 in Kansas City.
We had something like 70 cars at the Kansas city convention and it was great! :beerWe also had seven Z11 cars at that event. :bow(that doesn't happen every day)
Since then we have been having annual get togethers at various race tracks , mostly Thompson Ohio.
We usually average about 30 race cars and several show cars but this year is going to be a bigger, national event. This will also be a more car show oriented event but there will of course be drag racing too.
We haven't really started to get the word out as much as we should but it will definitely be the "Be there or be square" event of the decade.
It's a chance to see some really cool 348/409 cars from all parts of the country. (Canada too)
Keep an eye on that thread, I think things will really start to pick up after Christmas.
It's going to be 348/409 heaven! I sure hope you can make it. :beer

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Great Looking car, we are working on one thats the same color, red/red. We checked for prices on the paint, how about
650.00 gallon. oooouch.... Its a lot of work, but so rewarding, congratulations on your progress.
:dance

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great Looking car, we are working on one thats the same color, red/red. We checked for prices on the paint, how about
650.00 gallon. oooouch.... Its a lot of work, but so rewarding, congratulations on your progress.
:dance
When I did my Bel Air in 2011 the paint was 1800.00. That included the catalyst, thinners DP and K36 all PPG. I think red is one of in not the most expensive colors.