62 bubbletop conversion

rayjon

I know this may have been covered before as I find lots of references to it, but what is involved in converting a regular impala into a bubble top. I assume that it requires a 61 donor car but what is required from a body and structural standpoint??? Anyone on here done one???? just interested seems it would be a cheeper way to get a clean 62 bubble ,...

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
It's possible

I am assuming you are thinking of converting a 1962 Impala over to a 1962 BelAir bubbletop. Or maybe a 2 door BA post into a bubbletop (the '62 BA posts are actually more rare in terms of production if I remember correctly!). It's a lot more work than getting a bubbletop cut off a 1961. A lot more.

I did once connect with a fellow who had done this a few times, and he once provided some details about how to remove a bubbletop so it could be used again in such a conversion. I followed those instructions and did remove a bubbletop from a donor car. It wasn't being real careful in saving anything other than the bubbletop, and used a sawzall about 10 blades and some hand chisels, and go that thing off all by myself in abuot 2-3-4 hours. I bet putting it back on would take much more effort!

I'll see if I can find that guys' name and contact info. He was an old timer and mentioned he had done this at least 2-3 times, making a'62 Impala into a '62 BA. He mentioned over an over that it takes a lot of time, a lot of skill, and a lot of patience. Lining up the new parts is obviously critical, or nothing fits, especially the windows :)

There is an issue of exterior trim differences and interior differences as well as trunk lid differences assuming you were trying to clone one to perfection.

Best,
TomK

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Not sure why anyone would want to do this but everybody to their own thing, seems like the easiest way would be to use a 61 2 door hardtop body (For some reason, I hate the word bubbletop) and hang 62 quarters on it. The doors, cowl, dash etc. are the same. You just need a front end and a trunk lid. :dunno

M

MK IISS

Will a '61 Pontiac or Olds top fit a Chevrolet? A couple years ago a '62 Belair Spt.Cp. owner told me there are a lot of '62 Belairs Spt coups that were converted from 2-dr sedans by using Pontiac/Olds tops. I didn't know if I should believe him or not.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
tops

Will a '61 Pontiac or Olds top fit a Chevrolet? A couple years ago a '62 Belair Spt.Cp. owner told me there are a lot of '62 Belairs Spt coups that were converted from 2-dr sedans by using Pontiac/Olds tops. I didn't know if I should believe him or not.

Yes, it's the same top on those models, Buicks also. I'd think the window opening for the rear quarter windows would be hard to duplicate.

Just about everybody I've ever talked to (before the internet and websites) has always been convince this roofline was used because they had too many left over roof panels from the 61 model year. They all acted surprised when told it was a standard production model run. I prefer it over the Impala, but that's just my personal favoring of it.

And I also detest that name 'bubbletop'. Like the 57 Vette, it looks likes it's doing 80 mph just sittin' still.

:cool:

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
It is not just the Sport coupe (bubbletop) that shares components.
Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevrolet have all been based off of the same platform for many years. The sheet metal may vary and these cars look very different, but look closely and you will see how very similar these cars really are. the roof line on all the full size cars are shared.
Look at the full size 61, 62, 63, 64 Chevrolets, Pontiacs, Buicks, Oldsmobiles,......Not just the bubbletop cars (61, 62) but the impala roofline. It just would not make financial sense for GM to have every division have exclusively specific parts for each make. Seats, glass, frames, (buick Pontiac olds, share rear axles, transmissions) many parts crossover. look at a 57 chevy hardtop and look at a 57 pontiac or oldsmobile.
The roof and glass are the same.
If you keep this in mind at the junk yard, you my find the part you are looking for but not on the chevrolet that has been been completly picked over, but on a buick, pontiac or oldsmobile of the same year and body style.
I could go on and on ........but you get the idea, don't you??

JC327

Supporting Member 1
This is a Impala/Bel Air conversion I saw at the Springfield, OH show last year. I believe the asking prive was around $7000 or so.

Attachments

• 62impbel.jpg
    62impbel.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 122

KENNYDAVIS

RAYJON , i also am intrested in converting to a bubbletop. i have a 1961 that i am doing a frt clip and rear 1/4 change on it . my question is a bubbletop and a hardtop 1/4 panel the same ? i have been told a hardtop( or long roof as i call it)
has a longer 1/4 than a sedan or bubbletop . ?
this is also my first time on this site .

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
KENNYDAVIS said:
my question is a bubbletop and a hardtop 1/4 panel the same ? i have been told a hardtop( or long roof as i call it) has a longer 1/4 than a sedan or bubbletop . ?

For '61, the bubbletop was the 2-door hardtop. So, if you're not trying to change it to a '62, then you have nothing to worry about. Below the beltline it will be the same as the post cars. The 4-door quarters are obviously shorter due to the extra door. The '62 uses a different quarter panel than the '61, but the same hold trues for that year as well.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Aubrey,
When did the word bubbletop come into play? I sure never heard them called that back in the sixties. and it does fit the car but I just always called them Bel-Air hardtops

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Interesting....

You know, I never thought of fabricating a '62 Sport Coupe out of a 1961 Sport Coupe. I have a titled 1961 Impala with one piece bumpers, an entire 1962 front clip, and a pair of aftermarket quarters for a '62 two door. But then the interior would be circa 1961, and Impala to boot (different than the BA interior). Would have to swap out bumpers as well.

The reason I have not tackled this project as yet is that the quarters for a 1961 are not yet (as far as I can tell) available as aftermarket parts. Is that correct?

On the other hand, I have that crusty but original 1962 BA Sport Coupe, so why mess up a restorable 1961? That's what I was saving the quarters and the front clip for :)

Best,
TomK

KENNYDAVIS

i have a rust free 61 bubbletop, i just do not like it as well as a 62 . i have the chassis with c4 frt and 9 in rear , 22s in rear 18s in frt , airride , ls1 w 4l80 e trans . i cut the floors and firewall out and have built flat floors . so i dont care about originality .
i will keep you informed on how to make a 61 into a 62 . i have bought a 62 frt clip.
and a 62 post car for the 1/4 and rear body panel .( the post has hit a wall in the frt )
later kenny

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I talked to a guy at the convention that was going to do a 61 to 62 conversion. He said that the 61 & 62 quarters are the same from the rear axle centre line forward. So, apparently you only have to change the back half of the quarter pannel. :dunno