62 convertible lift cylinders

62convert

Before I buy replacement cylinders to replace these due to leaking seals, can the originals be repaired? One other question - are the drain tubes supposed to exit via the holes in the pan or do they end a couple inches short and drain into the cylinder well? And is there a place to buy a single door wedge (the piece on the door)?

And since we all like pics, here are a few that are unrelated to the questions:0705151758.jpg0705151659.jpg

Last edited:

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Drain tubes are cut short and drain into the cylinder well, then the water goes into the rocker and out the small drain holes at the bottom of the rockers. But the drain holes in the rockers are small and plug up after some time and as does the hole at the bottom of the cylinder well going into the rocker. Soo- every so often you need to clean out the hole at the bottom of the cylinder well to keep that from rusting away.

bobs409

Administrator
Drain tubes are cut short and drain into the cylinder well, then the water goes into the rocker and out the small drain holes at the bottom of the rockers. But the drain holes in the rockers are small and plug up after some time and as does the hole at the bottom of the cylinder well going into the rocker. Soo- every so often you need to clean out the hole at the bottom of the cylinder well to keep that from rusting away.

Hey Mike, his car looks a bit like yours! :D

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Drain tubes have a separate area on each side to drain by the top cylinders and there is a hole in the floor pan for convertibles for the water to drain out. I have numerous pictures of all of this including a small rubber drain in the top cylinder area on each side...
pictures attached - I have brand new drain hoses extra.

I looked into repairing the top cylinders and determined it was too risky and the cost was the same as new ones.
I have done 3- 62 convertibles. Hoses for 62's were rubber not plastic. The plastic line in the second picture is incorrect -they were rubber.

I have a priming system to prime the top motor and new cylinders and lines from convertible top company in California -they are the best company to buy from. I can post a link
Paul
IMG_0018.JPGPVS361.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the convertible place I used, great parts and their prices look good
cylinders for $ 118 per cylinder (vs Ecklers who wants $ 152+per cylinder -probably made in China....)

top cylinders
https://store.convertibleparts.com/chimcotopcy11.html

They also make hoses to the correct length from scratch for $ 50
https://store.convertibleparts.com/5973gmhse.html

Their website-another plus USA made parts:
https://store.convertibleparts.com/

Here is the priming set I used -works great gets rid of bubbles -hold connection to the top pump so it does not come out.....
https://store.convertibleparts.com/f-m.html

Use this transmission fluid........ -they had a strong recommendation for this type to use for the motor and cylinders
Valvovine DEX/MERC

Paul

62convert

Thank you for the info on the drain tubes. Thought it was odd that they drained internally, but it makes sense with all the potential water leaks in that area. Just wasn’t certain since show cars lists a part that could conceivably fit there.

Doing a weatherstrip replacement and will have all the panels off so I’ll definitely clean out the drain holes. This thing is pretty original , since my dad picked this up in 2000 with around 38k miles, but it had a pass door and qtr and top replacement sometime prior to then. It does have plastic lines that were probably replaced when the top was done and likely the only ones available. I know dad didn’t do any work on it before he passed, and I haven’t done anything but cruise it around since 2015.

Thanks for the photos and links Paul! I was considering that cylinder since it says the shaft seal is replaceable. Definitely don’t want to buy Chinese junk parts.21D30AEA-3F51-4E7C-B197-BA1D34493EC2.jpeg

62convert

Wow, thanks for the offer on the wedge 62bubble! And yep, it’s this piece that’s missing on the pass side door:

46B42BFD-B867-4820-B6F7-6946E899BA4C.jpeg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes those drain tubes(in the Show Cars picture) hang from two of the factory drain holes
they pull through from the top of the floor pan to have the tube end hang below the floor pan.

I sent you a private message
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
more pictures of the rubber drain tubes and top hose and motor routing
the 2nd picture shows the factory drain hole in the bottom of the floor pan next to the one on inner rocker (that also gets a rubber push in seal to cover it letting it drain at the bottom of the seal
some of the special clips that hold the top cylinder hoses are not installed in these pictures
The top cylinders are not attached in these pictures

the last two pictures show the passenger side top cylinder lower bracket assembly and hose routingIMG_0014.JPGIMG_0017.JPGP1010344.jpgP1010345.jpgP1010349.jpgP1010352.jpgIMG_0051-004.JPGIMG_0052-005.JPG
Paul

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thank you for the info on the drain tubes. Thought it was odd that they drained internally, but it makes sense with all the potential water leaks in that area. Just wasn’t certain since show cars lists a part that could conceivably fit there.

Doing a weatherstrip replacement and will have all the panels off so I’ll definitely clean out the drain holes. This thing is pretty original , since my dad picked this up in 2000 with around 38k miles, but it had a pass door and qtr and top replacement sometime prior to then. It does have plastic lines that were probably replaced when the top was done and likely the only ones available. I know dad didn’t do any work on it before he passed, and I haven’t done anything but cruise it around since 2015.

Thanks for the photos and links Paul! I was considering that cylinder since it says the shaft seal is replaceable. Definitely don’t want to buy Chinese junk parts.View attachment 82354
:finger Chi-na!!!

Last edited: