62 Convertible

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
I found a 62 convertible that needs work for $7500. is this a reasonable price and is this car scare enough to put money into salvaging/resurrecting?

Junky

Well Known Member
Today, I see cars that are in so bad of condition, that no reasonable person would even consider taking on the project, but there are always dreamers that envision a masterpiece coming out of a pile of rust. Try putting some guesswork numbers together as to what each segment of the car that is going to need to be touched, and then double or triple that number, and you might be somewhat close to what you will have into the car in the end. Without some pictures and a better description, I wouldn't hazard a guess to say "go for it"! Just remember, it always cost more to buy a car needing a lot of work, then buying a better car that needs only a little work. If you are young enough, and want to make this cars restoration your life mission, then take a chance. Just keep in mind that whatever you spend, unless you finish the project, chances are you will never get more than 10 cents on a dollar back when you sell it, unless you find another that sees more beauty in the car than the average car collector. I would say that 90% of us have more invested in our cars than we can ever sell it for. I am in that 90%.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
At that price it could be a good deal. Pics and your first hand inspection report will help get some good feedback. There are a few members who have a lot of experience with these vehicles :).

The convertible frame is unique for the '62 (more body mounts, reinforced portions, etc.) so look for corrosion there. If it's totally corroded in terms of panels/sheet metal you will be replacing the quarters, rockers, pans, trunk and any other underside support pieces. Lots of good sources for these parts. Hood and trunk and even doors are available (used). Front fenders often need patches or replacement.

Of course there's a bunch of normal questions to ask, such as "is there a title", "what is included", how much of the drive train is original, etc.

The upside is that 1962 Impala convertibles are very desirable and you can spend $20 - $30K and not be upside down. Original SS cars that can be documented are more valuable. Original 409 cars are super desirable. Total cost depends on detailed/correct you want to get and how much you want to contribute. Big difference between "driver" quality and "show" quality :).

Good luck!

TomK

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I wonder if 62 SS convertibles use the “NASCAR” frame like a 61 convertible?:D
Robert

Last edited:

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
here's a few pix - not mine (got them off the craigslist add). He worked on the frame (blasted and painted it). The trunk looked relatively good from the inside. Parts of the floor plans were replaced. It does not look like a super sport based holes in the floor and I know the shifter is not correct. All the chrome was removed from the sides. Owner says he has all of it, windows, seats, etc.

Attachments

• 00b0b_dFl5mxo7tEn_1200x900.jpg
    00b0b_dFl5mxo7tEn_1200x900.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 60
  • 00I0I_3BzAlmb3Llv_1200x900.jpg
    00I0I_3BzAlmb3Llv_1200x900.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 00S0S_265qTxLflxG_1200x900.jpg
    00S0S_265qTxLflxG_1200x900.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 00S0S_b6x4jGkxU9k_1200x900.jpg
    00S0S_b6x4jGkxU9k_1200x900.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 00S0S_NddmWGOkPL_1200x900.jpg
    00S0S_NddmWGOkPL_1200x900.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 61

Junky

Well Known Member
The front bumper is from a 1961, so you better check the VIN to see if it is a 1961 or a 1962.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That 62 convertible is has hidden secrets and has been modified.
The reasons are:
  • The floor pan has had panels replaced from what I see -original floor pan shapes, edges ridges have been covered the center hump around the shifter looks modified. They did not use original shape floor pans for patching the floor, a terrible decision for a convertible in that $ range and its future value after its restored.
  • There are no original 62 SS bucket seat brackets Original factory 1962 SS bucket seat brackets were welded to the floor. I don't think its a SS convertible
  • Filling all the side chrome holes,rocker molding holes and the fender emblem holes, top of fender holes hood emblem holes and worse yet the hood lip molding holes are filled and the lip to hold the hood lip is gone. In my opinion no trim seriously devalues the car. The side chrome, emblems and rockers make these cars look nice. 50 and 60's Cars without side chrome, emblems limit who would even buy the car. The work to redrill all the holes is a real issue.
  • The car and dash has been painted green and the exterior looks like its been sanded to repaint it again.
  • The dash has been repainted green in what appears to be a non original color, as is the exterior of the car a non original color. The first paint job can hide body work and rust repair in the panels
  • I see evidence of filler under the paint since the edges on the hood,fenders and the side of the car look like filler has been added.
  • it has a belair steering wheel and what looks like a 4 speed column but I only see one pedal
  • its a padded dash car -does that come with it ?
  • I just noted that the car definitely has a 1963 passenger side headlite bucket and what looks like a 63 radiator support and the supports on it for a 63 grill
  • Also note Tom's comments from above on restoring cars and checking conditions on cars for sale
  • I found for a friend a unmolested 1962 Impala SS convertible (with title and all both tags) without modifications with solid 1/4's, fenders,doors and decent floors, complete top rack, All the original trim was still on the car., no engine or transmission. Purchased 2 years ago for $ 7500. He did replace the floor pan in the car with all original reproduction floor (you can't tell that it was done).
Paul

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
15 years ago or so I purchased a 50ft looker (62 Impala conv with a 64-409 engine & 4-speed) in running condition. That’s how I found this site & a few others.
The cost at that time was high (high teens), the cost & time was greater when I had the car.blasted.
Paint can hide almost anything.

Attachments

• 1B9037E5-F705-426E-BC1F-344AEC8A1ACA.jpeg
    1B9037E5-F705-426E-BC1F-344AEC8A1ACA.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 34
  • C9CE8965-DFDD-4963-BB2C-BB1D1CF361A0.jpeg
    C9CE8965-DFDD-4963-BB2C-BB1D1CF361A0.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 32

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I still think it deserves further evaluation. There just aren't that many '62 converts left and their finished valuation is quite high. Check a source like Hagerty Valuations and you'll be surprised (I think they are generally on the high side). Recognize that I have a soft spot for the '62 convert as my Dad had one when I was a teenager and it was in the family for a decade (sold it to my brother in 1967).

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1962-Chevrolet-Impala?id=127094

I've been on the lookout for some time now, on a limited budget, but looking. Finally found one locally and made the call about 3 years ago. Upon close inspection, it had been bodged a few decades ago and I am currently seeking to put that right. I am aiming at "driver quality" but lots of metal has been shed from the body, even though it looked good from 10 feet.

1962 Impala convert.jpg
Paul helped me acquire the big ticket flat metal pieces (quarters, rockers, pans, etc.). I had replacement parts for the trunk. All of that came off and is currently being put back in place. It's been in "metal purgatory" for some time now and of course we found even more corrosion as we disassembled :(.

1962 Impala convert front clip removed.jpg
Mine came with no drive train and about the same price range. I knew that it needed lots of metal bumping (and replacement). I took all that into consideration before buying. I'd estimate that I'll have $30K upon completion (again, driver quality not show quality).

So I guess it all depends on what your plans are for the car. In my case I have a family history, so that affected my decision. I seem to have a lot of projects that require major surgery :) :) :).

Good luck!
TomK

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don’t like to talk bad, but just from the pictures the person took tells you what your dealing with! Craigslist people believe if i can get a person to my car it’s sold ugh! Grab yourself a magnet it will tell you a lot! This all depends on how far your willing to go , anything can be fix. Good luck!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for sharing those pics Tom. I could look at that stuff all day long. Any other pics you want to post, I'm ready. Anyone, for that fact. I really am trying to downsize some, not buy anything else, but I do have a strong fondness for a '62 Impala. My mother had one and that is why I have one. A convertible would be perfect even though we have or had 2d hardtops. For me to have the desire and energy to restore another car, it would have to be a '62 convertible. It would also have to be complete and unassembled. Fair condition. For me, to put something back together, I have to see how it came apart first. I wouldn't mind investing money and work into it, but I wouldn't want a rust bucket either. I know it's best and cheapest to buy one done, but those cars can be pricey. It wouldn't be so bad, but I already have cars to begin with. So, that's kind of a game changer. That car in the first thread, I wouldn't consider for myself. Too much missing, gone, maybe not correct for the year. I'd be in way over my head, Carmine.

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
I have not owned a 62, but I did own a 64 convertible. I'd include a picture, but I sold the car before the days of digital photography. I restored it as a resto-mod (before the word was invented). Body was in very good condition (no rot on quarters, rockers, doors, trunk, or lids) - the front quarters had the usual spot right in front of the doors fixed with bondo. All original moldings with a few pieces of NOS. As I think about it, my old car was in much better shape than this 62 and it still took me 2 years to make it look good as a daily driver. I am not young anymore and any work will take twice as long. I think I will pass as I also noticed all the bondo on with quarters. If it was a rare car (SS) or a 409, I would have a different view. Thanks to all for the input. weg

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
My 63 was a good looker from 50 feet. Lots of previous poor work was done in the past, but the car was my grandfathers, so it has sentimental value. I could probably make money pit II by the time I’m done. It’s all for fun though and not an investment.