62 Hinge Color

Shesrealfine

Supporting Member 1
I'm restoring a 62 Bel Air and need to know the correct color of the hood hinges(or if they're natural metal with no finish) The car is white. Thanks for your help!

Shesrealfine

Supporting Member 1
Does anyone know of a paint that closely resembles the golden hinge color? I know Eastwood has that Golden Cad kit, but I didn't want to put 50 bucks into painting a couple of hinges if I could avoid it. Thanks. John

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a paint that closely resembles the golden hinge color? I know Eastwood has that Golden Cad kit, but I didn't want to put 50 bucks into painting a couple of hinges if I could avoid it. Thanks. John

Just have them redone in gold cad.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"There's no plating places around here. Can you recommend a place to send them?"

Yeah there is, I don't have a phone number but look up Industrial Electric Plating, Airline Dr., Gastonia, N.C.

I've seen their work, it looks good and isn't really expensive.

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Industrial Electro-Plating

The phone number for Industrial Electro-Plating in Gastonia, NC is (704) 867-4547.
I had my hinges plated by them as well as my hood latch. I had the hinges rebuilt by a guy in NY state I found in Hemmings Motor News, name escapes me. Jeremy

Shesrealfine

Supporting Member 1
Industrial Electroplating has a $50 minimum charge. While I'm at it I may as well plate everything on the car that's yellow zinc.
Bubbletopman mentioned his hood latch. Are both the male and female parts supposed to be zinc yellow? Any other parts on the car zinc yellow(no brake booster on my car)?

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Gold Cad Plating

I had both parts of my latch gold cad plated. All of the show cars I have seen are done like that. Tommy (Nolen) or possibly someone else can shed some light on whether this is absolutely correct or not. Be mindful of very small parts you send to Industrial Electroplating such as bolts, etc.. I sent the hinge and latch mounting bolts along with the parts, using the same rationale you are using; if I'm gonna pay $50, I might as well send everything I can. However a few of the bolts and some other small items I sent didn't make it back. So get an accurate count on everything you send. Jeremy

Shesrealfine

Supporting Member 1
I've been searching the internet for the 62 frame-off restos and the plate on the hood is yellow zinc on most. Can't find a shot of the long hood release handle though. Waiting to hear from Tommy on this.

Any other yellow zinc on the car, anyone?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The long hood release handle should be plated. Actually, the metal bracket is painted black, only the center ring and rivets are gold plated. I attached the best shot I have, this is my '61 but I think the '62's were the same. The NOS hood latches that I have seen are like this.

Attachments

• DSC_0226.jpg
    DSC_0226.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 30

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
On my '62 Impala, both upper and lower hood latch parts were all yellow cad plate except for the pin and spring on the hood were brite cad. The hinges were yellow cad. with black springs. Leo