62 hood hinge rebuild

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
i am experiencing symptoms of a worn 1962 hood hinge. Any recommendations as to a hinge rebuilder as I have no experience with them.
Robert

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
This is the Father/Son tag team that is highly recommended by forum members.

hood hinge repair

Discussion in 'General car talk' started by W Head, Jul 22, 2011.

Watch Thread

W Head Well-Known Member Supporting Member 5

Just got my 59 hood hinges back from Willie Wilson at hoodhingerepair.com and they look great and tight. $150.00 plus 12.00 shiping. I highly recomend Willie and his Dad if you need your hinges repaired.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

> > >

62BillT

Well Known Member
They are only about 1/2 hour from me, but I have never been there.

I also have heard real good things about them.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Thanks guys I didn't know about them and they are close by, we'll sort of. On the way there I can stop by Tommy Nolen's and drool over his 61 SS! Probably better bring some towels and detailer to clean it up?
Robert

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I'm going to contact them next week. My hood does not close all the way in the back. I have to push it down and it's still high. Probably not all my hinges. I was looking at the Eddie Motorsports hinges but it's hard to justify blowing that much on some hinges.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
With springs installed on original hinges you cannot tell how many bad rivets you have on a set of hinges.
The hinge springs have to be removed to tell. I had at one time about 15 sets of 61 and 62 hood hinges. I removed the springs
and found only one set of good hood hinges. All the others had from 1 or 2 bad rivets up to 4 or 5 bad rivets.

I had all the sets done with new rivets by Wille Wilson in Virginia and then zinc plated in gold the original new rivet hinges.
Sold off most of these restored zinc plated hinges.
Hoods sitting high in the rear is a sign of bad rivets even with detailed or professional hood adjustment work.
Paul

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
My hood does not stay up fully when opened & comes down to about half height, is that a spring or hinge problem? Are the hinges sent in with the springs to check out what the problem is?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
You don't send in springs to my knowledge, I never did. I remove the springs first with a brake tool in a vise (bead blast the springs first in the open position so you can paint them black).

I had a 62 SS convertible that I sold -that had bad hinge rivets -would not stay up unless it was all the way up.
Restored new rivet hinges will stop the hood anywhere you leave it between fully open and closed.
Have someone push up on your hood and watch the rivets for movement in their locations(the rivet heads or rivet ends should not move....) -not as good as the hinges with the springs removed since you can't check all the rivets for being loose.
Paul
picture of one of my restored sets- note the original style new rivets - Willie does not gold zinc plate.
IMG_0050-004.JPGIMG_0052-004.JPG