62 Hood Hinges

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So get this. I have been to 3 restoration places here in Christchurch to see if they can rebuild my hood hinges.

It turns out that it will be FAR FAR cheaper for me to have these sent to Wilson Antique Car Parts (HoodHingeRepair.com) in VA and pay freight both ways than to even consider to have them done here in NZ.

Willie has said worst case scenario to rebuild they would be $200.00 the pair.

The only thing that he doesn't do is having them zinc gold plated, but i guess i can have these done when the get back here.

Gav

blkss64

Well Known Member
The hinges for 63 and 64 were a gray phosphate coating. Eastwood used to have a kit to duplicate the phosphate coating. I used it once and that was over 20 years ago so they might not have it any longer. I remember it worked “ok”. I mainly used it on bolts and clips. I had NOS hinges and hood catch that had the coating on them. The coating is rough to the touch.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Those are beautiful Paul. My originals are holding up ok, but the rivets are worn and the hood sits up a bit on one side when I close it. I just lean on it at that corner for now, but rebuilding is necessary.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gav,
blast them first and then send them to me I will have them plated and then send them to Wilson
Brian,
Hey Brian,
THank you very much for the offer. Currently i'm in conversation with Paul as he may have a recon set.
I'll be in touch if i need to take this any further.

Gav

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I used to have 7 to 10 used sets of 61 to 63 hinges. I sent all of them to Willie Wilson and had them rebuild with new rivets. I bead blasted all of them first. When I got them back I had them all zinc plated locally in South Dakota.

I have now sold off “all but two sets of 62 hinges” and all of the 61 hinges and one set of 63’s.

These rebuild hinges are part of my “selling off all of my extra parts”, Don is correct on selling the 62 hinges in the pictures above.
I would note that when I checked my 10 used hinges “without springs on them” in a vise, all but one set had bad rivets.
The rebuild hinges from Willie are like having NOS GM hinges on your car( I found 2 sets of NOS 62 hinges for 2 of my 1962 restorations about 10-12 years ago ) and I have now switched to nothing but rebuild Wille Wilson original hinges on my 62’s. The reproduction hinges are junk.

I would also note that Vern Frantz told me that all 61 & 62 hood hinges had black springs originally from the factory.
He saw pictures of a set of 62 hinges I did with cast gray hood hinge springs.

Paul