'62 Impala gets a new powerplant

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
after doing a lot of thinking on the build I'm thinking this isn't the car I want to chop up to build a brawler...the car is just too nice and straight to hammer...in order to make it work I'm gonna have to go disc brakes, 9" rear, new suspension, and a whole list of other mods you guys know more about than I do...I'm gonna keep this car to cruise on nice days after installing a/c and begin my search for a straight 61 or 62 biscayne...buying a basic solid car makes more sense to me for a go fast project than to undo a 4 year restoration...sure, numbers don't match but it's a nice ride

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
They are out there!

I first spotted this one while tracking another vehicle, which I purchased. A year later one of our members noted the Biscayne in the background and asked me to investigate further. His offer was not received, so it sat for another year or so. Having gone over it with James in greater detail left me with an interest, but I really didn't need another project :).

Kept thinking about it and finally got together with the owner and made the deal. I keep finding more and more things I like about this one. Must be since it's so solid and comes apart easily after 57 years :) :) :).

They are out there.jpg

So keep looking, there are still some good ones out there!

TomK

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Looks like an all original 283 PG car. Has a 283 trunk emblem. It will have a cast iron PG.
The fuel tank replacement is nice along with the brake improvement.
A 409 in a Impala can hold a higher value in the future, than 2 door sedan 409’s
Trim looks good has factory front and rear bumper guards - a plus
Not to far from you
Paul

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I finally got in touch with the guy who owns the 61 bubble top and am gonna drive up to see the car friday...it's got a link to it in an earlier post...drivers floor has a hole and needs a support, the front fenders have typical rust...seats are crap but the car seems complete and workable...I'm told $16500 takes it home...any thoughts fellas...I leave tomorrow...https://www.ebay.com/itm/143222724778

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ive not heard of it being an issue but I'll certainly call the DMV in the morning to find out...I assume a bill of sale and a registration would work but why chance it...thanks for the heads up...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just did a registration check online and florida requires a registration or title...looks like no issues there...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
the ebay bid is at 15600 currently...I'm pretty sure if the ebay bid stays the same he'd sell if for high bid...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
my thoughts were to use the frame as is but do tubular a frames and a ford 9" out back...I've got most of the parts for the 409 stroker motor but assume all the rear suspension needs to get scrapped and hodgkiss components will replace the rest...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A 9 inch Ford complete bullet proof rear end is a bolt in ( Johns Industries in Michigan) with boxed lower control arms probably( UMI) and UMI adjustable upper control arms.
All you have to do is add the 2nd upper control arm and beef up the frame were both upper control arms bolt to the frame. A Heavy duty driveshaft is also necessary with 1350 joints.

My comments here I think are agreed with many members here, for hard use without breakage
I have/ had planned this conversion on my 62 SS 409 Hardtop with a 409 - 500 HP stroker motor. If I was drag racing more than once or twice a year, I would make the change I have noted.
I am talking about at least $6000 of parts. My quote on the 9” from Johns was around $ 4300 (power coated)
Paul

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
well, I went up to north carolina and waited for the pics I was promised on the rust details...I finally got the guy to call me after 3 asks and he tells me about the rust, seems the hole in the floor was a quarter online but grew to a softball size in conversation...I saw the pics when I got home and half the floor was gone...the car had far more rust issues than he let on and the conversation proved it...I spent the 5 days at my cabin and then head on home...I'd prefer to begin with a solid car and not a cancer patient...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
well, I went up to north carolina and waited for the pics I was promised on the rust details...I finally got the guy to call me after 3 asks and he tells me about the rust, seems the hole in the floor was a quarter online but grew to a softball size in conversation...I saw the pics when I got home and half the floor was gone...the car had far more rust issues than he let on and the conversation proved it...I spent the 5 days at my cabin and then head on home...I'd prefer to begin with a solid car and not a cancer patient...
He meant one quarter of the floors were rusted!!!! :D