'62 Impala gets a new powerplant

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When you had rear jacked up you said it ran shifting into drive and reverse ,no stalling. Did you leave in drive and then apply brakes to completely stop rear wheels from spinning. That will put the load back on torque convertor to pull motor down If it stalls I would still suspect tc.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
got plenty of fuel delivery but have not used a gauge, I gotta assume it's fine as the fuel filter bowl is full all the time...I never thought to look at the vacuum line don, thanks for the tip...my buddy mentioned it must be an early 62 to have a factory cast iron glide so that makes sense...something is making it stall and it's stumping me...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
don, it ran flawlessly no matter what I did with the wheels off the ground...when I first hit the brakes it did seem to slow in rpm's but it was minor and came back up...nice to see it does have posi...:D

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
got plenty of fuel delivery but have not used a gauge, I gotta assume it's fine as the fuel filter bowl is full all the time...I never thought to look at the vacuum line don, thanks for the tip...my buddy mentioned it must be an early 62 to have a factory cast iron glide so that makes sense...something is making it stall and it's stumping me...
I think LA meant you may have too much fuel pressure, not too little, and it’s overpowering the needle and seat.
Early and late 62’s had a cast iron glide in 6’s and 283’s.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm using the mechanical pump that bolts on the motor, do you really think it may be overpowering the carb...I'm game to check anything at this point...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It's been known to happen but not terribly often.Check the pressure,and regulate it down to 5 1/2-6 psi.max. if there's a problem.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm using the mechanical pump that bolts on the motor, do you really think it may be overpowering the carb...I'm game to check anything at this point...
Significantly possible, I’d check that before the tc.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
no problem, easy to test stuff first...I'll get the pressure gauge out and check it out...I spoke to john winters today, he's a top shelf tranny guy and we discussed the issue...he feels a 500 rpm increase in stall speed will resolve the problem...$250 to remafacture my converter to increase the stall to roughly 1700rpm...he'll do it while I'm in town visiting a friend...same day service if I go that route...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
don, it ran flawlessly no matter what I did with the wheels off the ground...when I first hit the brakes it did seem to slow in rpm's but it was minor and came back up...nice to see it does have posi...:D
To me the tc is acting as a loaded link to the differential when first put in gear with wheels on ground and kills motor. When wheels are off the ground the drive line can turn and not stall the motor . What other reason is the reason between the two . When put in gear and aaccelerate a little it is overcoming the stall, thus a hesitation.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
no problem, easy to test stuff first...I'll get the pressure gauge out and check it out...I spoke to john winters today, he's a top shelf tranny guy and we discussed the issue...he feels a 500 rpm increase in stall speed will resolve the problem...$250 to remafacture my converter to increase the stall to roughly 1700rpm...he'll do it while I'm in town visiting a friend...same day service if I go that route...
You will like the increase in stall.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
yeah don, I'm really leaning toward the TC as it is smothering the motor...I tested my fuel pump and I get a low of 5psi and a high of 6psi so i'm good there...if it weren't for the cam i'd not have thought about the TC, it's just too tight...my buddy is as sharp as they come and he believes the TC is the issue...JW swears a reconfigured one will make me smile...now I have a reason to head to northern tool to finally own a tranny jack...I can't tell you how many muncies I've walked out from under a car on my chest while scooting on a creeper...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
yes, he's been building trannies and race gear for decades...go figure, this guy is a giant in the performance world and has a big facility and personally offered to custom build a converter while I wait...service like that is beyond rare in this day and time...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've never heard anything negative about JW don, glad you like his work...do you happen to know what the factory small block converter was set at by chance...I'm told they will refurbish it and modify it in any way I want but I don't know what the base line setting is...

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If I thought I had to have a converter built for a engine combo, I would look real hard at the transmission I was having a converter built for.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
been giving that a lot of thought, 700r was in mind but this is a bolt in 250 investment in keeping it stock...the car drives fine in town and on the highway...I've got too many other projects as not to add this one to the list...agreed, the glide isn't a popular tranny but it's working to suit my needs so for now it stays...