'62 Impala gets a new powerplant

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
well, it's been all of 3 months since I bought my impala and here we are looking at a new motor for the soon to be beast...fully assembled short block with most of the bolt ons that will be required to make the motor complete...it's a 64 block with 690 heads which are complete...all forged components inside with a stroker crank...474 c.i...it'll be a while until I pull the 327 which now resides in the car...I got with paul and bought a complete clutch mechanism for the car including the bell housing anticipating this move...I'll be leaning heavily on you fellas for advice on building this motor...it cam without the cam so I'm gonna go with a hydraulic roller ...lots of decisions to make...IMG_0714.JPGIMG_0717.JPGIMG_0716.JPG

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was checking the numbers on the block and heads, seems they are good pieces to base the build in...383014 on the block and both heads are 690's...I see an X cast on the front drivers side, it there a reference for this mark and what is it for...

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
That's exactly what I did some 12 years ago. changed a 62 Impala into a cloned 409. four speed (from a 283 PG with a peg leg).

Now she has her second engine transplant and hopefully will become an even more fun driver :).

I hope your project goes as well!

TomK

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
you were the first guy I had in mind don...tell me about it, I'm not ready to work on the motor yet, I've gotta finish 3 other projects before I tear another one down...I've got a bunch of midwest tractors I have to get running for sale...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
this might be a dumb question but I'm gonna install a radio in the car and wanted to know what size size speakers fit in the front dash and the rear seat...I see cheap kits but I wanna install good quality speakers and would prefer to have them in hand when I begin the job...

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
this might be a dumb question but I'm gonna install a radio in the car and wanted to know what size size speakers fit in the front dash and the rear seat...I see cheap kits but I wanna install good quality speakers and would prefer to have them in hand when I begin the job...

I think that lunati cam will work fine with whatever speakers you find. :crazy:tongue

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I guess some of you guys don't think about why I am gonna install a radio...I've got 7 other rides with no sound systems in any of them, for the exact reason you fellas have stated...my grandson is showing interest in the car and asked why I didn't have a radio...I explained the love of the sounds of a motor and the mechanics in a car functioning...he shares the same love I do but he's younger and likes sound systems...if this is what I have to do to draw my 23 year old grandson into the hobby and appreciate the W mentality I'm down with it...hell, I'd stop short of 13" wheels and hydraulics but just about anything else within reason is an option if it sparks the flame of his generation...;)

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Notre Dame women’s games record this

Here is by far the best company to get speakers from. I have 3 sets of their speakers in my 62's

Speaker sound is much better than aftermarket overseas large magnet speakers. Note they do dual speakers also.
I was just discussing dual speakers for my 57 Chevy Hardtop with them
Very helpful.
easy to talk to for explanations of what they sell and what to use

here is the web site
http://www.turnswitch.com/

Here is what they say about speakers -read this info on speakers
http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

Finally their AM/FM conversions with blue tooth, flash drive connection -my 62 SS 409 convertible is really nice -with 500 songs on my flash drive -switch to songs and channels with one turn of radio knob

Radio conversions "can come with" all these options --portable CD, portable cassette, your old under dash Delco 8-track player, MP3 player, XM radio, Apple iPod/i-Phone/i-Pad through headphone jack, etc.

http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

Paul