'62 Impala gets a new powerplant

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I guess some of you guys don't think about why I am gonna install a radio...I've got 7 other rides with no sound systems in any of them, for the exact reason you fellas have stated...my grandson is showing interest in the car and asked why I didn't have a radio...I explained the love of the sounds of a motor and the mechanics in a car functioning...he shares the same love I do but he's younger and likes sound systems...if this is what I have to do to draw my 23 year old grandson into the hobby and appreciate the W mentality I'm down with it...hell, I'd stop short of 13" wheels and hydraulics but just about anything else within reason is an option if it sparks the flame of his generation...;)
That's a very good reason, never considered that aspect!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I guess some of you guys don't think about why I am gonna install a radio...I've got 7 other rides with no sound systems in any of them, for the exact reason you fellas have stated...my grandson is showing interest in the car and asked why I didn't have a radio...I explained the love of the sounds of a motor and the mechanics in a car functioning...he shares the same love I do but he's younger and likes sound systems...if this is what I have to do to draw my 23 year old grandson into the hobby and appreciate the W mentality I'm down with it...hell, I'd stop short of 13" wheels and hydraulics but just about anything else within reason is an option if it sparks the flame of his generation...;)
I started out with the intentions of Low and Slow lowrider. I would have put hydros and 13's on but I have more hotrod in me than lowrider. I went with a chrome 14" reversed smoothy/white walls and painted my 64 Impala 2dr hdtp Candy purple (1995 Ultra Violet Poly). Now I dream of my 63 being a Z11 clone and running down the strip like old school match racing.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
so after stalling while driving I am gonna rebuild my carb...I know it's a carter AFB but have no idea as to which model...it's off my 327/300 hp. motor...any thought as to how I can identify...the secondaries are larger than the primaries if that helps...IMG_0720.JPGIMG_0721.JPGIMG_0722.JPG

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Probably 3720 or 3721.
Look for the number on the front of the right (pass side) front mounting leg.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
that's what I thought as well but the only casting or stamping is on the right mounting leg face...it's been stamped 61 for some reason...upon further looking behind the fuel bowl and under a glob of grease I see the number...3721SB...I know you guys are numbers freaks, any thoughts as to the correctness of this carb on a '62 327/300...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've been looking on ebay just to see if kits were readily available but all I'm seeing is kits for 1400 series carbs...I'm thinking these should be model specific and not universal...who would be the go to carb kit dealer, I admittedly know little about factory stuff from this era but am wanting to learn...

blkss64

Well Known Member
That carb was used on 1964 300 horse 327’s. The carb kits are readily available from Rock Auto, Carquest, Napa, Oreillys, etc. There’s also online sources for ethanol compatible kits. I personally have not purchased a kit for quite some time so I don’t know if any of the big part stores that I mentioned have ethanol compatible kits. Other members may have better advice. Good luck

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thanks jon, I did some digging around and found a vendor that appears to have them...I use non ethanol in my cars but there's always those times when it can't be had...how they got 300hp from a 575 cfm carb is beyond me...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I guess if it was easy everyone would build their own rides...I've discovered the 925/926 manifolds interfere with the clutch side of the bellcrank arm...talked to showcars and they're stumped...seems I have a 58 bellcrank...seems my only option is to get the plasma torch and cut the arm off to clock it mebbe 25 degrees...weld it back on and adjust the linkage...this car has been more than a challenge but so worth it...

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Can you make an adjustable lower rod? I made one for my 62 so I could fine tune the release of the clutch.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I guess if it was easy everyone would build their own rides...I've discovered the 925/926 manifolds interfere with the clutch side of the bellcrank arm...talked to showcars and they're stumped...seems I have a 58 bellcrank...seems my only option is to get the plasma torch and cut the arm off to clock it mebbe 25 degrees...weld it back on and adjust the linkage...this car has been more than a challenge but so worth it...
Rob..just call Show cars and get the right parts.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I called them phil, the geometry of all the arms hits the exhaust manifold...the 135 degree arms need to be clocked back towards the firewall...it worked with the 340 hp manifolds...this is a 59 car with a 64 motor and the big exhaust interferes...they were the ones that suggested I cut and move the clutch rod tab...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
got my carb kit and for the first time in my life I've rebuilt an AFB, got a little confusing as the kit had many spare parts...set the float levels and made the other adjustments and popped it back on the car...started right up...they are a fairly easy build contrary to what I've been told in the past...