'62 Impala gets a new powerplant

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I've never heard anything negative about JW don, glad you like his work...do you happen to know what the factory small block converter was set at by chance...I'm told they will refurbish it and modify it in any way I want but I don't know what the base line setting is...
No Rob,I don't .

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was gonna go pick up the hydraulic tranny jack today but life got in the way...trying to keep up 10 acres of landscaping by oneself ain't easy...I'm letting nature take some back every year...I planted a bamboo forest and by God it's over 75' tall now...place looks like he amazon...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
not if you know which species to plant tom...mine are clumping bamboos and get mebbe a 20' wide base but they get 75' tall...running bamboo is indeed a nightmare...
took the 62 impala to the big shop and put it up on the lift, if I drove with my foot on the throttle and one on the brake it drove well if I kept the rpm's up basically keeping the rpm's up higher than the stall speed...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
not much to report from the deep spouth...spent yesterday assembling my tranny jack, I hope to pull in saturday if my health is willing...car is up and ready to go...shown are my latest aquisitions for working under a lift...the furniture is getting moved and insulation will be installed on the balance of the walls...I got a good start until the neuropathy kicked my ass...IMG_0770.JPGIMG_0771.JPG

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
not if you know which species to plant tom...mine are clumping bamboos and get mebbe a 20' wide base but they get 75' tall...running bamboo is indeed a nightmare...
took the 62 impala to the big shop and put it up on the lift, if I drove with my foot on the throttle and one on the brake it drove well if I kept the rpm's up basically keeping the rpm's up higher than the stall speed...

That sounds like a tune up problem to me, :scratch

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
everything from ignition switch to the carb has been gone thru 3 times, I sure as hell don't have all the answers but both my buddy and I have exhausted all of our brain cells and a tight converter due to a cam seems the only logical avenue...I spoke to a few tranny guys and all said they've seen it before, one of which I trust emphatically...if I'm barking up the wrong tree someone please show me light...I've been wrong before

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With everything you've gone thru and corrected on this car,this is a logical choice.I'm thinking that if there is a problem with that converter,there's something wrong in there causing it because I don't remember them being that tight.If that's the case,Mr.Winters can find and correct it.It couldn't be in better hands.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
well, I went for it...had a neighborhood kid that works for catapillar come down to help me pull the tranny...being the first time using the lift I soon realized after 5 down trips to think about all the things one needs to do when putting the car in the air...almost forgot to remove the distributor cap...doh...the jack was a miracle, don't know how you'd do it without one...took 3 hours including a brake and lunch...the lesson I learned today was either wear a hard hat or get about 50 pool noodles...I clocked my noggin 4 times, once I saw stars...put me on my knees...I saw what appears to be a new label on the tranny, looks newly rebuilt...gonna call the guy monday and ask him about the converter...been icing my back before heading out back to shut the shop down...gonna have that 5 ton a/c unit installed shortly...have any of you guys ever seen an a/c sock work...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
when I first saw one I thought it was pretty nifty it had to be expensive...not...300 bucks to do a 40' run...nice

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The body shop next to me has some kind of ductwork that looks like that but it doesn't collapses, maybe the HV/AC never switches off.