62 Impala rustoration: We're going to try and save another one

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've found that a clamp near each spot weld makes a much better joint. The spot welder itself does have a lot of clamping force. And yes to how much a weld bead will warp and/or pull a piece of metal.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It looks like fun from here but I've been there with my 63, it's a LOT of work! :sweat :yawn
It sure is a lot of work Bob, but for me, it's a labor of love! And it's nice to see things come together. I'm really trying to get this floor in in the next couple weeks, before I have to start on air cleaners and another aluminum project I have in the works.

bobs409

Administrator
Ain't it amazing how far a weld can pull something?

It's the one thing that I hate about welding!!!!! After years of practice they say you can get good at anticipating it and positioning the part a bit off to compensate but I'm not there yet. :D I do know that a weld will pull toward itself. (if that helps) :p

bobs409

Administrator
When I did my 63 I also used that spot welder for the visual dimples it leaves (well, my own welder, not Jims) :teeheeand I guess I'm a bit of a belt and suspenders type of guy but for my own peace of mind, I did a few plug welds here and there. Those spot welds can look good but hard to tell if they are strong. I guess I worry too much?? :D