62 Impala rustoration: We're going to try and save another one

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Mike and I removed the front end, doors and engine to facilitate the floor removal/replacement process.View attachment 72616View attachment 72617View attachment 72618View attachment 72619
Jim, it wouldn't be much trouble for me to come up and haul that old 409 engine off for you if it's in your way? I'm thinking I might be able to save it and put it in a 31 Chevy 5 Window Coupe with some aluminum Bob Walla heads? Just saying and trying to be helpful.:good looks like a Time To Remember and a fun one at that!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim, it wouldn't be much trouble for me to come up and haul that old 409 engine off for you if it's in your way? I'm thinking I might be able to save it and put it in a 31 Chevy 5 Window Coupe with some aluminum Bob Walla heads? Just saying and trying to be helpful.:good looks like a Time To Remember and a fun one at that!
You wouldn't want that one Tooth. It's a double notch 348, very mild build.:D

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I was thinking that the cup part has a flap that bends over onto the lower panel and then drill the holes on flap and spot weld it.
I'm not quite sure what you mean Don, but the original is a one piece stamping and I can't duplicate it as such. That's why I cut out the flat piece that welds to the inner rocker panel then fabricated the "boxed" or "c" channel piece and welded it to the flat piece. The piece I made does fit nice, but that front rounded part is a little to "squarish" looking. Now that I have the test piece done, the next should be an improvement and not take as long to fabricate. I wish I had a band saw to cut out the 16 gauge I'm using. The electric shears I'm using don't handle the tight areas very well, but I'll make do with what I have.:D

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I could be wrong, I don't remember having to rebuild mine but now you mention itt might be one piece. That case it would be time consuming but i think it could be made in sections ,welded and smoothed out.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks like your doing a great job.
I have a lot of test pieces setting around.
Thanks James. Same here on the test or practice pieces.
I could be wrong, I don't remember having to rebuild mine but now you mention itt might be one piece. That case it would be time consuming but i think it could be made in sections ,welded and smoothed out.
Next one I make will hopefully look more like the original after welding and grinding.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thank you, it's a labor of love(most of the time). ;) You just have to take your time, practice a little and you can do pretty much anything.

Before I retired I never had the paitence to do much around home. I used it up at work. It's kind of a challenge now to take on something new. I should have retired 50 years ago. My Dad took up woodworking after he retired. Someone asked him once where he got all his patience to do such quality of work. Dad replied, "I saved it." He sure didn't have much when I worked with him.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim here is a tool I discovered that is a must in a sheet metal shop, it's a 8-inch open Shear from Speedway. No Freight $119 and you can get it in 2 days and you can cut circles with it straight lines or curved lines it is amazing! I made a cardboard template and then folded the cardboard template to wear it fit perfect and then transferred it to a piece of 18 gauge and then trimmed it with the sheer fits perfect and now I have room to take my valve covers off without hitting the firewall . This thing Cuts 18 gauge like butter and you can get replacement cutting Jaws cheap . Just sharing an incredible tool ! 20190427_190422.jpg20190427_205418.jpg

Last edited: