62 Impala sail panel repair

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Im sure someone has done this. I have a 62 Impala that will need full quarters, where the quarters meet the sail panel it is rusted out about 3 inches. does anyone make replacement panels to go from quarter to roof? If so send mea link or an article if someone has posted pictures of doing this repair.
Thanks,
Harley

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Unfortunately....no. Will have to find a donor car....or make your own.
Good to see you around again!!!!

bobs409

Administrator
I have to do mine soon. I had someone on this forum cut an inch of the sail panel area for me from a parts car and I will be installing them soon. Mine wasn't as bad as yours, I only really need about 1/2 inch.

Topstrap

Well Known Member
I can check my parts car and see how both of those areas look. I don't think I'll be needing anything from those areas and can cut them out for ya. I'll get pictures tomorrow if you want. NDennis

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There is a guy in N.W. Georgia who has 2 cars for sale on the Atlanta Craigslist. Both 2 door hardtops, but rough enough that cutting out a section wouldn't be a crime. One is an SS and has what's left of the grab bar still, but it is the worst of the 2 cars. No seats and the floors are gone. I'm thinking of getting a pair of doors from him. The other car could still be saved. I think he is asking $2000 for both. I know he wants $800 for the SS. He is willing to part them out as well. May be worth checking into since you are in AL.

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Thanks for the replies, I saw the 62's on craigslist , my wife would have a fit if I drug some more 62's home right now. I may still do it tho. All those derelict 62's need to come live with me.
Phil , good to be back here. Its been rough last couple of years, got married moved to city, Lady ran redlight and T-boned me and bike, busted up my leg, took about a year to get back close to normal from that, Got bike beat back out and in the wind again. House next door to my trailer in the country came up for sale so we bought and moved back to country. Been without Internet for over a year, just get to check in every once in awhile on work PC. trying to get me a shop set up where I can tackle some projects.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Harley:

Good to hear from you again!
I wish I knew you needed that part, I junked a '62 SS not long ago, could've carved those out with my sawZall :).

Cheers!
TomK

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
That's my luck lately Tom. thanks anyway. probably had a good roof too? If this car wasn't my Fathers, I would junk, I think every piece of sheet metal but firewall will need replacing. It was sold for 20 years before I was finally able to buy it back. It had sat wrecked in frontend and rusting out. At least it still has the original 327 that was the last motor my Grandfather (a machinist) completely built my dad broke the crank in about 1970 they bored out line bored put a forged steel crank back in and rebuilt completely, it ran till mid 80's before wrecked and parked.

Topstrap

Well Known Member
I checked and the sail panels look pretty good on my parts car. You mentioned a roof? The roof on this car is pretty good. Not sure what all your needing. This is a two door Impala. Dennis

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Bout halfway down front posts all the way to quarter panels. I don't think I can save much of mine. I will probably try to find a donor car, I need the bench seat and back seat also they were stolen out of car. where are you located? I might be interested in if I could pick up close, shipping would be high. Thanks for thinking of me. Some pictures of my car on here somewhere.