'62 Impala SS hood springs that work

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Looking for a source for hood springs that will actually hold my '62 Impala SS hood up. I can'stand a prop rod and the springs on it were replacements by the previous owner. Thanks, RickIMG-2770.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Isn't it amazing that nothing has been done about these repro hinges? I've heard nothing but bad things about them and that applies to ALL model cars/trucks. I never had any personally, up until now I've been able to find good used.

You would think someone would come out with a GOOD repro hinge by now. Hey, sounds like a good money maker! :thinkIf I only knew how to crank out a few hundred pairs... :p

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes as Don mentioned, probably bad hinges. If they are original then the rivets are probably gone and if they are repo hinges then they are probably not good.
From what i have learnt through here is that "Wilson Antique Car Parts in Virginia" can restore and make a bloody good job of them, but they do not offer a re-plating service you would have to get these redone locally.

Gav

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
The springs hold the hood up. My ‘57 hood also didn’t want to stay up. This is what I did and it stays up now without a problem. Hope description makes sense. Take the springs off. Put a piece of pipe inside to keep spring from bending while during the press - put spring in a press vertically with something on underside of coils (the round coil part/not the single hook part) - press the top end single coil (part that attache) spring down down some, thus shortening spring. Do same to other spring - measuring to make sure they are both the same length. Don’t go overboard. Replace springs. Worked for me.

Fuzz

MAGA

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
I had the same problem, thought it was the springs, NOT. Sent my hinges off the Wilson Antique Car Parts in Virginia (after calling him). Got them back in a few weeks. Beautiful job, painted in the proper color. Very reasonable price & now my hood stays up, even stiff at times. Highly recommend his work. It was worth the money to me, no more hood problems.

Joel

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have been restoring my extra 61 and 62 Hinges and then selling them off zinc plated in gold with restored original springs in black.
I had at one time about 10 sets of hinges.
To test the rivets being worn, the springs need to be removed to check most of the rivets.
I only found one set out of 10 used hinges that did not have 2 or more loose rivets -so every one with any loose rivets got all new rivets.
I used original springs without any work to the springs with new rivets and the hinges work great.

My opinion is the rivets cause hinges to not hold the hood up and cause hood adjustment issues.
With new rivets the hinges stop anywere you leave the hood when its open.
Reproduction hinges are junk -do not use them

Paul

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks all. I will have to wait for some help for hood removal.
If your hood is currently aligned correctly, before removal drill a very small hole behind the front bolt. Drill through the hinge and the lower hood sheet metal. When putting the hood back on, use the same drill in the holes to align your hood. Do the same on your hinge mounts.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If your hood is currently aligned correctly, before removal drill a very small hole behind the front bolt. Drill through the hinge and the lower hood sheet metal. When putting the hood back on, use the same drill in the holes to align your hood. Do the same on your hinge mounts.
I did that same thing to my Nova doors before I had it painted, I had the doors adjusted perfect and drilled the hinge for alignment so when the painter took them off to paint the car he could put them back on the way I had them.