62 impala

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
he said all the dates were correct but nothing was mentioned about numbers matching...for that money they should be...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
just got off the phone with the owner of the 409 impala I poster a link for...it didn't sell on the auction but in out conversation he said his reserve is 80K, a little rich for my blood...

I did not see a link to this 62 409 ?
Paul

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have thought about selling my 62 SS car if you don’t buy either one.
Robert

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
that sir would be a dream of mine to own but that car is out of my league with the budget I have to work with...I'd sell the plane first...:bow

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
that sir would be a dream of mine to own but that car is out of my league with the budget I have to work with...I'd sell the plane first...:bow

The car is an AACA national award winner and Goodguys 2018 muscle car of the year finalist. I haven’t set a firm price yet but will think about and get back to you
Robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I've heard of those folks in Fenton, they have several nice/unusual vehicles for sale. Never dealt with them. Fenton, MO is due South of St. Louis.

Funny thing, I had that one "tagged" on my Watch List, I think it's been on Ebay a few times?

Red on Red sure looks good!

I'm not as keen with regards to detail as Paul is, but James and I are just a couple of hours away. James, is that near that machine shop you had the truck block at?

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't need to see the badges on your car robert to see it's painfully detailed and done with love...I'm gonna make a call tomorrow and if I get the right answers and feel good about what I'm told I may very well take james up on his offer to go check it out...I'd love to wire robert funds and have him ship his car to me but that ride is in high cotton...I dwell in the boneyards...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The one in Fenton is not a factory SS car.
  • It has a bench dash Impala script on the dash behind the grab bar. I bet its a SS conversion. The bucket seats to not line up -the drivers bucket seat tilts back further than the passenger seat. Ask for a picture of the cowl tag before doing any thing. Doesn't mean the car is not a nice car just that its not worth as much if its a SS clone.
  • does have the correct fold at a angle bucket seats (missing chrome cap on the passenger lower seat chrome)
  • The vin tag with a 21847 is for a factory v-8 Hardtop 1962 and S in the VIN number is for the St Louis GM plant
  • THE 409 emblems("409 letters") below the flags are not mounted in the correct location for factory 409 cars. They are about 1 inch (from what I can see ) too low below the bottom of the fender flags
  • Steering wheel is all red -its supposed to be two tone red
  • dash appears to be gloss red -supposed to be flat paint (looks like its been painted)
  • I see a factory padded dash (2 pieces) -it appears to have been painted with I assume vinyl paint
  • Carpet,SS interior, door panels,package tray,chrome arm rests all appear to be new -Carpet is not correct for 62 -missing the red rolled vinyl trim on the front edge of the rear carpet by the passenger door and the carpet is not tuxedo (should have black specs in the red like original 62's) with this said its not a problem-it does appear to be new carpet and newer Impala label floor mats
  • looks like new paint, new weatherstrip, new windlace, new valance panels, new hood and trunk emblems. It may have new flags and new SS emblems on the 1/4s and trunk -can't see in the pictures.
  • looks like tinted windshield, tinted back glass and tinted side glass -check for new windshield -original windshields sometimes do are not clear enough from age and scratches
  • its PS, Padded Dash, tinted glass, dual rear antenna , 2 speed wipers/washers /glass bottle for washer 1962
  • I think it might have some original parts (grill , hood lip)
  • check for reproduction SS side chrome and that the SS side chrome has metal inserts like factory SS side chrome -reproduction side chrome is very poor quality (I think Tom will know --or very close pictures of all the side chrome I can tell) -the repro stuff looks very cheap......
  • The front valance panel is missing rubber bumpers and license plate plastic mounting parts (they are sold aftermarket ) -rear valance panel also appears to be missing rubber bumpers and maybe the licence plate plastic mounting parts
  • The SS trunk panel might be new ? pictures don't tell me (not clear enough) -new reproduction SS trunk panels cost $ 750
  • the left rear drivers rear 1/4 hooks and the right one are smashed at the bottoms(the bumpers can hit them) it maybe came off a another car that the bumper damaged them or even this car
  • It has a 283 & 327 motor fan shroud - might have been a 283 or 327 car originally -the fuel lines (if not replaced ) might tell you something -if I see some pictures of them on the frame
  • The steering column cover has a PG cover on it that was cut open to install the upper clutch push rod. They apparently did not switch this rubber cover -that tells me that this car might have been a PG originally -there is a wire or speedometer cable next to the upper clutch rod might be run through the same hole (if it is that is totally incorrect (it can be fixed -have to pull the steering column.)
  • ON further examination of the pictures the car has a PG steering column -I can see the hole in the column on the passenger side for the bulb for the chrome PG cover that was screwed to the column on all PG cars...
  • the bell housing is not a correct 62 housing -looks to be a later model one -clutch fork is late model (not a 61 to 63)
  • motor has a 409 truck pan (drain plug is in the bottom of the pan )
  • You better make sure it does not have small 340 HP 409 heads and what type of intake it has(409 2-4 intake 881 ?)
  • There is a PVC valve drilled into the passenger side valve cover near the firewall end (dumb thing to do to chrome 409 valve covers if you want the engine to look original -which appears what was attempted) -The valve covers are 1964 409 valve covers (that use plastic push on wire holders vs the 61 and 62 409 valve covers that use dipped rubber on the wire holders
  • the wiring on the radiator support by the glass washer bottle looks old (might have a old original front wiring harness on a restored car ? Tape on the generator wiring that is not factory on original harnesses or on a correct original new replacement American Autowire wiring harness
  • has aftermarket 6 bladed fan (might cool better with this fan)
  • transmission looks like its a Borg Warner 4 speed -check that it is and not a Saginaw 4 speed(used on low horsepower motors) -it might be ??
  • the shifter looks like it has a bolt on handle ??-the white shifter ball is too large -I see at least one "welded" shifter rod on the transmission (the rod for the front shift arm) The SS shift plate(it looks new) is too close to the dash it should be closer to the SS console between the seats
  • The exhaust manifolds are not correct for a 62 409 motor (they look like 348 -2 Inch outlet manifolds) vs 62 -409's had 2 1/2 inch outlet manifolds and 2 &1/2 inch runners -exhaust pipes to the mufflers are 2" (409's in 62 had 2 1/2 inch size)
  • wrong fuel line to carbs (rubber)
  • Carbs on intake are not original 409 carbs -arms and linkage on carbs are not 409 (could be aftermarket Edelbrock carbs
  • The upper water pump pulley is not a correct deep groove 409 pulley (its supposed to be a dual upper pulley not a single)
  • The power steering pump has a small block PS pulley - 409 pulley would be a 3 spoke pulley -The pump appears to have the right 409 mounting brackets.
  • the generator appears to not have the right end plate on the front for a factory 409 generator (the rear should have a big bearing on the end plate -no picture so I can't tell.
  • it does not have a factory tach -no sender on the inner fender and no redline on the tach face(409 tachs had a 6200 RPM redline -the tach is mounted to the column with a hose clamp which is not correct for 409 cars
  • The heater valve on the passenger side firewall is broken (it fell off its bracket -they are tack welded to the mounting bracket)
  • After market master cylinder (see Roberts car it has the right one and his engine compartment is 100 % correct as is his entire car)
  • Looks like reproduction 409 radiator (with a hex top like 62's) but the drain for the radiator has the drain on the passenger side rear of the radiator. Its supposed to be on the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side.
  • chrome valve covers -62's had painted valve covers -first year for chrome valve covers was 1963
  • hood hinges are painted black -originals were gold with black springs
  • floor pan of the car should be red oxide not black -the floor appears to be mostly original - i see 6 original drain holes out of the 8 on a factory floor pan. The detail under the car and front end and rear end is nice and the parts look to be original front suspension, Power steering and rear end items and brake cables. All the parts were painted or replaced/painted
  • The gas tank is painted black -it was originally silver zinc plated -I wonder if the tank is new ?
  • There are two dents(one on each side) in the rear floor pan next to the exhaust pipes -they may have dented the floor to make the pipes fit ??
  • I see the original front seat belt mounts( 4 of them) on the bottom of both rear floor pans .
  • sure looks like the floors are original and the trunk looks nice on the top and bottom (Tom or James could check the rockers to see that a entire original floor was not installed
  • not correct original mounts on some of the exhaust system -not a problem just noting it (ask if its aluminized exhaust pipes (not steel ) or was exhaust just painted silver ??-has glass pack type mufflers
  • bumpers appear to be rechromed (check for reproduction bumpers...that are thinner metal )
  • Body fit "appears" to be good pictures are not close enough to see for sure.
  • looks like it has radial tires
  • The rims look very nice, I had a set like that on my 62 SS Convertible.
  • missing a factory jack
  • check for a new firewall pad under the dash vs a rotted original pad -looks like the rubber seal on the bottom of the firewall pad is broken off or removed.
  • I like the gauges to check oil pressure and water temperature when driving the car before a purchase and after
  • WILL It run on regular unleaded gas without pigging ??
  • Ask or check if its got a Posi rear end.
The items that I noted that are not correct 409 can be changed if you want, I just tried to note everything I see after having restored 12 + of these cars.

I looked at a red 1962 SS 409 Hardtop in Illinois for a friend in Georgia a few years back. He ended up buying a 63 SS 409 that I helped him look at the car but not in person. (I talked to the owner for him got numerous close up pictures of selected areas) and he finished the deal.

I have a very good friend who lives about 15 miles from Fenton Missouri. He has a early 1980s Corvette (a rare model) that he restored to original standards. it is really nice... He would know what to look for and I could ask him to look (he is out of town at times).
He has seen my restored frame off restored 62's and my 62 SS 409 Hardtop (he will know about the quality of what he sees).

Paul

Paul Stensland

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
paul, I don't know how you can see what you've posted but thank you...I don't want a bastard car, not for that price...I shall wait on the purchase for a more correct car...I don't want a trailer queen but I don't want a hack job car...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I would not call it a hack job car -it looks too solid from what I see-I mean the body.
It might be a factory SS car -but its very strange that it has a Impala bench seat script on the dash.
persons making conversions do not seem to know that all factory SS cars did not have a emblem behind the grab bar.....

It depends how close to being a 409 car you want. all the wrong items can be corrected(and i know what they cost for the items for $ fairly close to buy them.) This car is better than the others reviewed to date for condition.
If its easier to review you can call me.
Paul
712-943-5850