62 impala

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
the red one in florida is a rust bucket...the owner says it's in excellent condition but doesn't think pin holes in the body rusting from the inside out isn't a problem...he says you can't find a 57 year old car without rust...he's a ornery coot...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
look under the trim on the side of the car and you can see rust weeping from under the aluminum...he specifically mentions no rust under the car...screws hold some of the trim on as well...I'd rather find a good rust free car to build my own but the cost of impala parts are as nuts as camaro parts...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I got a pic of the cowl tag on the iowa car, can anyone decode this one for me...
9E style62 147bodySL 19
trim 84 paint936
ACC. EZ1

any help would be appreciated...

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
There's information missing from the codes you posted, please post a photo of the tag. 9E (5th week Sep 61) is an early build date but the body number 19 is missing the last two numbers. The trim number should be 842 for a blue vinyl interior for an Impala sport coupe (non-SS) and the paint is ermine white. EZI is tinted glass. Please still post a photo of the tag so I can add this car to the database for research purposes.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I can't carl, my phone won't let me download pics but your correct, the pic I got this morning doesn't show the right side of the tag...this is the red impala listed on ebay in missouri
...I'm debating if I should have a club member go check it out...the car is a red 62 409 4 speed that is far from correct...I'm toying with the idea of owning it

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just spoke to the owner carl and got the 2 missing digits which are 12...edlebrock carbs change the outlook of the purchase...I asked for numbers so I'll await them before making a decision...I really appreciate the help here fellas, I'm new to the early 60's cars...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
more info on the motor...block is 385656, heads are 3819333, and intake is 3814881 with eddy carbs...can't seem to find any info on the details of the truck motor, especially the heads...dunno if they are performance parts or standard car parts

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The "656" casting could be either a passenger block or a truck block, but given those 333 heads, let's assume it's a truck block. Nothing wrong with that, but a good passenger block is harder to locate than a good truck block.. That "881" aluminum dual quad intake was cast to fit the high performance heads, but can be trimmed to fit those low perf 333 truck heads. A scope might tell one more about the tops of the pistons, but it always best to get the details on record with an invoice, etc. Popping the valve covers tells you a few things as well, but far short of the whole story.

Not knowing those details gives you an advantage in negotiating price, if it comes to that.

Good luck in your pursuit!

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
this is the car I have been eyeing, nothing about it is correct but it isn't too badly priced...the car seems hinkey to me, a few things don't seem right...the shifter is too far ahead of the seat which must have had a fat ass in it...crushed and leaning way back...how does one tell if the car is a true SS...wrong fan shroud and a coil on the firewall are signs this car might have been cobbled together as most of the parts are from who knows where...https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Impala/223232080798?hash=item33f9ab3b9e:m:mi3jc_b7_2EunLk3YFlKP9Q

55Brodie

Well Known Member
this is the car I have been eyeing, nothing about it is correct but it isn't too badly priced...the car seems hinkey to me, a few things don't seem right...the shifter is too far ahead of the seat which must have had a fat ass in it...crushed and leaning way back...how does one tell if the car is a true SS...wrong fan shroud and a coil on the firewall are signs this car might have been cobbled together as most of the parts are from who knows where...https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Impala/223232080798?hash=item33f9ab3b9e:m:mi3jc_b7_2EunLk3YFlKP9Q
The quick tell would be the trim code number on the cowl tag. It should point to a bucket seat color if a true SS.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is what you have with the red 62 in Missouri -repeating some of what is noted above
keep these numbers for your use
  • 9E = 5th week of Sept 1961 ( as noted above by Carl a very early 1962 in Sept of 1961)
  • Style 62 147 = wrong number -no complete--- 62 1847 is correct for a V-8 1962 -2 door Hardtop if its - 61 1747 - its a 6 cylinder 1962 2 door Hardtop
  • Body SL 19 = missing more numbers after the SL as Carl said (the SL does match the VIN number from door jamb that has a S in the VIN for St Louis. The tags must match for GM plants...............
  • Trim 84 = missing the 3rd number 842 is a blue bench seat interior and 847 is a Aqua bench seat interior (in order for this car to be a factory SS red bucket seat interior it has to be a different trim number)
  • Paint 936 = this number is for a factory ermine white exterior 62 Chevy (so the color was changed to red)
  • looks like a paint color change (white to red) and a change from a Blue or Aqua bench seat interior to a red SS interior
  • The ACC -EZI (tinted glass ) -confirms what I said before on my list about the side glass & back glass that looked like it was tinted
On the motor
  • block 385656 = missing a number in this number off the back of the block on the drivers side (as Tom K says it appears to be a 1965 -409 -car or truck block The correct number should be 3857656 for a car or truck block
  • Heads 3819333 = these are 409 trunk heads (they are not high horsepower heads made to match the aluminum intake manifold # you listed as #3814881 that was only used originally on 690 or 583 high horsepower heads
  • intake - # 3814881 -for 2 four barrel carter AFB carbs (originally) for 1962 to 1964 Chevy 409s with 409 horsepower(2-4's) or 425 Horsepower(2-4s) in 1962 to 1964 -- As Tom stated in order for this intake to fit the 3819333 truck heads the intake would have been trimmed(a triangular trimming) on the mounting surfaces of the 881 intake to to fit the 9333 truck heads
Nothing wrong with this 409 engine set up, there are others on this forum that have 409 motors with 333 truck heads . The only point is that the motor is not a original block and heads for factory 2-4 high horsepower 1962 to 1964 409 HP or 425 HP motors. Just depends on what you want for a 409 motor.

As Tom K. said invoices for the engine work or proof of work is important for the kind of $ they want

You can add 2-4's & high horsepower heads to a truck block 409 -I have in my 62 SS 409 Hardtop a 1965 trunk block (656 )stroker motor with the top end high horsepower heads and original 881 intake.

Paul

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thank you paul, my error, I'm seemingly getting a little dyslexic...the trim number is 874, body is SL 1912, style is 1847, paint is correct...it's the meds I tell ya...:dunno2
mebbe it's me but I'm not feeling comfortable knowing so many issues remain in the car...for that price more should check out...I'm debating after spending a lot of time searching for a 62 I need to find a good candidate to restore my own or bite the bullet and buy roberts car...my wife can't divorce me, she died 5 years ago...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
body SL matches S and style 1847are correct for what the car is.

The 874 trim code is for a red bench seat Impala interior. So the original interior color is correct -but the car was converted to a SS car.
Note my original comments on the dash trim on SS cars.

Early 62's in Sept and October of 1961 "did not come with SS swirl trunk trim " but the factory offered dealers the ability to add the swirl trunk trim (3 pieces. The early cars had plain Impala trunk trim.

Paul

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I spoke to mark, the owner of the dealership and told him about the deficiencies that the car had and that is wasn't a real SS...he agreed so I offered him 30K for the car...don't think that's gonna buy the car but I'm ok with that...I'm thinking I'll build my own if I can find the right body, the search continues...thanks for all the help fellas, you guys rock with your advise and knowledge...rob

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I believe your right chevy man, I've decided that the car in iowa is one I'll pass on, way too much money for what I'm wanting...it's a nice car but all wrong for me...I'm looking but in no rush...