TX 62 SS 409 380 HP

1962 SS 409 380 HP.
Car is rough. It was parked outside in the early 70's.
The only thing going for it is it is a matching number, date code correct 409 car that's 90% complete. Items missing are radiator,starter, fan shroud, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate,radio,tach, breather. Generator is not correct.
The block and transmission are stamped with Vin that matches car. Block is standard bore but has two cylinders pitted that will require sleeves. Crank is 20-20. More pictures on Album 62SS. $10K

DSC00004.JPG DSC00002.JPG DSC00039_2.JPG DSC00007.JPG DSC00036_2.JPG DSC02128s.jpg DSC00046.JPG DSC00008a.JPG

heddrik

Well Known Member
Awesome car, originals are becoming epicly scarce. I live in Ft Worth, I couldn t afford it but would love to see it in person. Best of luck and I echo mark s comment above.

Mark and heddrick
Thanks for the comments. I would like to see the car restored, but I realize finding some one willing to sink 40 to 50k into a car that might not bring 25k finished, might be hard to do. Maybe I need to put it on Craigslist with new description. Barn Find. Original, paint, interior, motor transmission, some detailing required. heddrick it doesn't cost anything to look, pm me and we'll set up a time

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1962 SS 409 380 HP.
Car is rough. It was parked outside in the early 70's.
The only thing going for it is it is a matching number, date code correct 409 car that's 90% complete. Items missing are radiator,starter, fan shroud, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate,radio,tach, breather. Generator is not correct.
The block and transmission are stamped with Vin that matches car. Block is standard bore but has two cylinders pitted that will require sleeves. Crank is 20-20. More pictures on Album 62SS. $10K

View attachment 61473 View attachment 61474 View attachment 61475 View attachment 61476 View attachment 61477 View attachment 61479 View attachment 61480 View attachment 61481

I'm not one for real tuff projects any more. BUT that's a neat car if it's real, matching number 09. You could take the easy way out and sell engine and parts and probably still make out on price but that car does deserve to be saved, and I don't say that very often if at all.

Phil
This is my car and it is in Greenville,Tx on I-30 50 miles east of Dallas.
RCampbell
The car does have rust. You can see front floors in pictures Rust is unusual. Car was parked on a slope so rust is more to the passenger side. Trunk was full of parts and not rusted out. The left 1/4 is solid at bottom not like right side. Floor pans and trunk are in car not completely rusted through. Front of hood not rusted through like most . I can take more pictures if you tell me what you want to see. The story that came with the car was that right 1/4 was hit by tractor while mowing around car. The car has Arkansas title and that's where it came from. More pictures of the car on on this site in albums 62SS

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just noticed something cool about the intake, look how much orange overspray goes up onto the runners. I know in todays restoration world most intakes have none to very little.

Last edited:
More pictures. Maybe answer some of the questions about rust .Like I said earlier rust is more on passenger side. Left rocker, wheelhouse appear to be solid. Last picture is bottom of left 1/4 panel.
trunks.jpg DSC02149.JPG DSC02148s.jpg DSC02147s.jpg DSC02143s.jpg

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just noticed something cool about the intake, look how much orange overspray goes up onto the runners. I know in todays restoration world most intakes have none to very little.
It almost looks like the whole intake was orange Kevin... It also looks like there might be traces of orange on the generator brace and the idler pulley bracket... I keep looking at these pictures over and over and find this car very appealing.. Doesn’t look too much worse than a typical Ohio car...:hide

Not sure if motor hasn't been repainted with crank being 20-20. Maybe some one knows something about this. On top of transmission are 2 large EE markings in what appears to be grease pen. The tail housing is marked SS in the same way, Any comments?

I guess our timings off. I've had the car about 11 years and it took me about 3 years to buy it for the man that brought it from Arkansas.
I will take worn, dirty, ragged bills, so come on.