TX 62 SS 409 380 HP

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It almost looks like the whole intake was orange Kevin... It also looks like there might be traces of orange on the generator brace and the idler pulley bracket... I keep looking at these pictures over and over and find this car very appealing.. Doesn’t look too much worse than a typical Ohio car...:hide
61 intakes were painted. If this is an early car it could be the process was carried into 62 production.

Don Jacks

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike,yes they did.The 380 and 409 HP engines used the same cam up until sometime in April of 62.The 400 and 425 horse versions used a slightly different cam up until they went to the z-11 grind in early 64 til the end of the 409 production.In other words,there were 3 different cams used in the HP 409's from 62-mid 65.The part numbers are in our data base here on the site.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's right, it was 409 hp in 62. 29 hp due to 2x4 is a long stretch. ,I'll go on record to say that 409 hp and 425 hp were definitely over rated for marketing purposes.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Russ....let's go in as partners.......you buy the car and I'll go get it and bring it back to Kansas City!!!!!!!

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hey, I've got an idea ! :think Why don't you guys "lend" me the money to buy just the motor & trans to put in my 62 SS car, the frames finished and waiting for a matching #'s 409, and I'll even give both of you a "free" ride when its done. :thud cash poor...409