62 SS progress...Rear rebuilt and reassembly

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bought a clutch kit for the posi and a differential kit. I had axle bearings. I did use the copper gaskets. I obtained retainer plates from a Corvette Parts house. I only reused the housings, ring and pinion. Show cars is where I bought mine.

G'day, thanks for the info and diff is looking great. I'm also in throws of updating things and I'm looking to see where i can get the axle bearing retainer flange plate along with the bolts but these to be limited. You mentioned in this post that you went to the "Corvette Parts house" would you have their web address!

Thanks
Gav

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dutchman axles had those retainer plates as well. Not sure if they are even in business anymore.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have Dutchman axles and you need to supply them with the retainer plates. They don't supply them, FYI

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for clearing that up. I knew that the original ones looked like the one in your picture, but wondered if those were for extra insurance or something.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think upgraded billet versions would be really nice. However I don't think anyone makes one like that.

Correct Ricky. I bought these and mailed them to Dutchman along with the new axle bearings I bought. Dutchman sells bearings but Buy Rite Auto Parts here near me sells them much cheaper. These bearing retainers are very nice quality and come with new hardware. Easier than pressing off your original ones

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog...-bearing-retainer-hardware-set/category/5882/

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Looking Good!:clap will you be ready for Mason Dixon June 27?
Yes sir,

Rear is in, plumbing is done, T-10 is rebuilt and waiting, just picked up some racing fuel at MD Performance on the way home from work. I am shooting for end of February to have her back together. Are you gonna be there??

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Yes sir,

Rear is in, plumbing is done, T-10 is rebuilt and waiting, just picked up some racing fuel at MD Performance on the way home from work. I am shooting for end of February to have her back together. Are you gonna be there??
Yes I should be

ehernan3

Well Known Member
I purchased these Moser axles from Show Cars Automotive. They are listed as PN# 6540 and are listed as "59-64 2.25" High Performance Racing axles. They are 17 spline. I made sure to replace the axle housing vent; original was determined to be completely obstructed upon my inspection. I made sure to get the wheel studs. They were $375 for the pair. I am also installing the UMI 3 link kit. Not intending to race the car, just make it reliable and tighten up the suspension.
How do you remove and replace the axle vent? I see the 'cap' is loosely crimped on, and the fitting seems to have threads. If I uncrimp and remove the 'cap', will that expose flats I can grab with a proper tool?