'62 steering column alignment

Junky

Well Known Member
I had the dash out of my '62 to do some work to it, and now, when I put the steering column back up, the gap on the right hand side is about 1", and on the left, it is perfectly aligned with the dash. It is the panel that slides up or down where it meets the lower portion of the dash. How do I get the column centered, and once centered, how can I push it forward to fill that gap? thanks.. JunkMVC-010L.JPGMVC-011L.JPG

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
Pictures attached this morning. It was too dark to take them last night. Headed back out to try to figure this out, and finish up the car for a show on Sunday... Thanks Junk

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Did you have the support rods out when you removed the dash and maybe swapped sides on the reinstall? See assembly manual section 1, sheet 5 and section 9, sheet 5.
Also, it looks like you are missing the "anti-squeek" split rubber tubing that goes between the mast cover and dash surface.

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
I didn't take the support rods out, but I did have to loosen them. I finally got it aligned properly, by loosening both the upper and lower clamps, and giving the column a twist. I think that I know what happened and why. When the car was in the shop with the engine out, I asked them to replace the upper left control arm, since it was bent. I am thinking that they loosened the column in the attempt to remove it to get the steering shaft out of the way of replacing the upper control arm. When they tightened it up, they had everything out of alignment. It looks good now. Too tired to take pictures. Will do in the morning.