62 truck tranny swap

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
A buddy is putting a 350 in a stick 62 truck. How much different is the factory mount granny trans from a Muncie?

That cast iron granny trans is HEAVY!

Tried to get him to build a 348 but he couldn't find a core for the $ he wanted to spend. I was even going to give him a tripower with carbs,heads and exhaust manifolds.

rh4414

skip
My 61 started life with the 6 cyl. and std 3 speed
I made the swap V 8 and 4 speed and set everything with the rear mounts that are located on the 6 cyl bell housing, those were left in the original position this insured that the drive shaft would fit and the engine would clear the fire wall. The engine mounts were from a 72 1/2 ton I think, those holes also needed to be drilled. I used an M21 and had to change the slip yoke to accomodate the larger output shaft. I also disgarded the old cross member and built a simple one and drilled holes in the frame and bolted it in. The reason I got rid of the cross member is I also updated the front axle. I used the front axle assembly from a 79 1/2 ton, I wanted the disc brakes and power steering. Only the rear hole can be used on the 79 to the 61 location the other 2 need to be drilled. So far so good. I then located the the frame clutch linkage, this was needed because of the hydraulic operation of the 6 cyl setup that I did not want to use. If you use the mechanical linkage you also need to use the clutch pedal from a 63 the bolts on the cross shaft from the 6 don't line up,
I probably went to far and confused you more but it is possible to do just takes some thought.
ps. I also changed the rear end, used a 72 1/2 ton, also had to relocate the axle mounts. If still confused send me a pm or call 972-658-5341 my name is
Ron Haffner I'll be glad to help

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks Ron. I might have my friend Joe Parish call you. He started pulling the 6 banger last night.

rh4414

skip
If your buddy does get lucky and find a w motor the front and rear mounts need to go 3/4" forward from the small block location because of the offset heads.
Ron

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Well it all got bolted in and on the cam break in rod bolts on the new Eagle rods broke off and rods in the pan. No sign of heat in the bearing crank or rods.

I told him to build a W:)