62 upper and lower windshield trim Q

bobs409

Administrator
Can anyone tell me if both 2 and 4 door 1962 Impala cars used the same upper and lower windshield moldings? Also, were these moldings shared for 61-64 or only 61-62?

Thanks. :)

bobs409

Administrator
Alrighty. I know the glass is taller but thought maybe the top and bottom moldings might be the same. They use the same cowl panel so that bottom molding puzzles me a little... :rub

62BillT

Well Known Member
I always believed the bottom moldings could be the same, 2-Dr to 4-Dr, but I never got the opportunity to test fit any of them.

But I sure wish GM put numbers on everything. That would be too nice, lol.

bobs409

Administrator
Digging up this thread again.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the top windshield molding is the same for all models of 61-64? I've got a bunch of these and they are all the same. (even 1 marked for an 11 series car) They sure look like the one on my 63 2 door coupe but it's up on the lift so can't measure it.

I looked at the shop manual and assembly manuals for 61-63 but can't find anything for these.

denson1932

Well Known Member
By the time you remove one they are slightly distorted so it is hard to compare...i personally think the long top windshield stainless molding is slightly different from sedan to hardtop...either one is barely long enuf to do the job...Chevy or Fisher body could have easily designed these but a 1/4" longer so as installation would be easier. They are barely long enuf to be captive by the side moldings!
PS if you remove one from a junk yard dog with a cracked widshield, put on a face shield and bust out the windshield. Then you can remove the rubber and molding clips and the stainless can easily be parted from the old goo....

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The Impala 2 door upper windshield molding is slightly longer than Belair molding. I can't remember by how much, but I believe it is by an inch or less. I could recheck if needed.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I used a flexible tape measure and measured the outer length on both an Impala and BelAir trim. The Impala measures 59" and the BelAir 58 1/4". Tip to tip is hard as my pieces may be a little tweaked, but the Impala is 58" and the BelAir 57 1/4".

bobs409

Administrator
I used a flexible tape measure and measured the outer length on both an Impala and BelAir trim. The Impala measures 59" and the BelAir 58 1/4". Tip to tip is hard as my pieces may be a little tweaked, but the Impala is 58" and the BelAir 57 1/4".

I think these might be 4 door. There are many lefts and rights and they are marked 4 door. I don't want to keep bugging Mike with 20 questions so I'm playing detective. :D