62 windsheild differences

Gus68

Well Known Member
Hey guys! In a few weeks I am going to get a new windshield for my 62 Bel air 2 door sedan. I know there are differences from (I think) a 2 door impala and sedans. But I don't know what it is. Are they taller, shorter, wider??? I just wanna know so when I go to pick it up I can measure to make sure I get the right one. I have to travel 3 hours one way to get it, don't want to have to return it. Thanks guys!!!

bobs409

Administrator
Interchanges with these:

61 Buick 2 & 4 door hardtop, 4 door sedan (except Lesabre)
62 Buick Lesabre & Invicta 2 door sedan, 4 door sedan & hardtop
62 Buick Electra 225 4 door sedan
62 Chevy all (except convertible or 2 door hardtop)
62 Olds 88 & Super 88 4 door
62 Olds 98 4 door sedan & 6 window sport sedan
61 Olds (except F85 or convertible)
61 Pontiac 2 door hardtop, 4 door hardtop & 4 door sedan
62 Pontiac 2 & 4 door sedan, 4 door hardtop & station wagon

Gus68

Well Known Member
Cool reference chart!! So what is different between the coupe and convertible? Taller? Shorter? or is it something with the curve?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On the 2 door coupe, I assume that is the Impala only 2 door coupe and the Bubbletop glass is the same as every other 62 Chevy except Impala 2 door coupe and convertible, they are shorter.

Don

Gus68

Well Known Member
So if I lay a tape on my old one from top to bottom down the middle of my old one, I should also measure the new one down the middle to verify it is the same? Everything else is the same? If that makes any sense.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1962 Impala sport coupe (hardtop) and convertible windshields are shorter. All the rest are the same.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
'61 hardtop windshields are different from '61 convertible windshields........so maybe the '61 convertible is the same as '62 hardtop (Impala) and '62 convertible??

So all '61 EXCEPT convertible and all '62 EXCEPT Impala 2 dr hardtop and convertible are the same ????? Am I understanding that right?

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I just ordered my new windshield from Auto City Classic's, they are bringing it to the Goodguys event in Puyallup Wa. I talked to Auto City and was informed that all replacement windows are made in China, Brisill, and a 3rd country, none made in USA. Also said they were a good fit and he had not had many complaints. I have a 62 Bubble Top and the number (NAGS) DWO 0069. There is also a 0067- -0068, most likely for the Conv. & Impala Hrdtp. 299.00 for the one I bought. Chinese # B-C-P 61-61-62 BK

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I picked up a new windshield for my Impala coupe at Auto City Classic's two years ago. It was about $300 and they threw in the gasket. It fit great. No complaints.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I sure hope it goes easier than the back window, that was a challenge. thanks for the post, it makes me feel a little better.
:winner

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Yes Im sure it was, it came with the car, it had no markings on it. I think it would be best if someone was doing a complete
restoration to set the window in the car to see how it fits the window curves and the bottom lip that the clips go to. If any
body work had to be done it could be done then, so you could recheck the window fitting properly, any bondo work or
changing the lines or cures could hamper the setting of the stainless.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The repo rear bubble top windows that I've seen fit the opening very well however the window does not have the bubble in it. The factory rear windows had a bubble in them that continued the roofline contour, the repo glass goes about straight from the top to the bottom. It is very noticeable when sighting the roof from the side of the car.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The repo rear bubble top windows that I've seen fit the opening very well however the window does not have the bubble in it. The factory rear windows had a bubble in them that continued the roofline contour, the repo glass goes about straight from the top to the bottom. It is very noticeable when sighting the roof from the side of the car.
As Tommy says the repos are easy to spot as the profile is all wrong.