63 340hp 409 spark plugs

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Does anyone know what plug would have been ORIGINALLY in a 63 340hp 409? I'm looking for some genuine plugs. It had a OLD set of ACNITER 44 or maybe 45. I can't remember. Any help would be great!
Ross

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oooops, 43N not R43N resistor plugs were introduced as an option at first, then as years passed , the non-resistor plugs were dropped. Might be pretty hard finding 43N , or R43N though......

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the help, guys!! I suppose I should have searched our site first. There always seems to be waaay more info than I realize!

Will running a resistor plug change anything for me? I plan to keep my original ponits, for the time being. The engine had an OLD set of spiro-wound wires on it. Would it be a good plan to go back with that style of wire? Were the older plug wires different than the ones you get today. I was thinking of buying the repro 409 wires, with the markings, but I didn't know if they were even a quality wire.

Ross

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ross, The resistor plugs will provide the same service as non-resistor plugs. Any of the aftermarket wire mfgs. offer quality spiral-core wires that come with both HEI terminals and point type dist. terminals. 'A lot of people shy away from " cut to fit" wires, but by taking your time you can really come up with nice installation. You do have to be careful when ordering , You must specify 'black' or you will end up with yellow or red. I have no experiance with the repro wires, so I cant comment on their quality. Good luck..

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I agree with Ronnie,cut and fit your own wires a much nicer fit,but just take your time to cut and fit.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I've had experience with the cut and fit wires you buy at the parts store. They were fine for the old tractor and jeep I was working on. Should I be concerned with the diamter of the wire? Is there a point where its too big. I'll just be running the stock points distributor. Are the taylor 409 wires available for points ignitions? Thanks again!
Ross

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It seems to me there was a thread about ign. wires over a year ago, but I can't find it. If I remember correctly (and that is not often anymore) someone makes wires "cut to fit" that actually fit. I think it was Phil Reed. You might check with him.
Ron

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If you decide to go with the cut to fit,go with a good quality wire,such as as a MSD 8.5mm.You might want to upgrade your ignition system and you will have the wires :dunno