63 409 with car questions .

Aqua409ss

Well Known Member
Thank you 63 Dreamin:cheers for the up load on the Article , it was a long night trying to find it, you have made things a lot easier for myself
All ready found a 2 x 12 bolts.
One out of the 66 impala and the other to of a 70 Chevelle with positraction 3:73 and discs breaks and finned drums... would like the one out of the 70 Chevelle but with the measurements the seller gave of 1560mm it will be 64 inches .. id like the choice for a 8 inch rim with a 265 tyre max but its at a good price and local..... this stuff is hard to find in Australia . Would Anybody know the biggest rim and tyre i could go if i went the 70 Chevelle diff?

With the colour .. The car was Brought in London UK, i brought it back to Australia and the paint was coming off pretty severely . it went a bare metal respray. We could only match the colour on the Car and Paint chips from a GM card. Could says Azua Aqua custom .

Thanks for everyones input so far :cheers

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Thank you 63 Dreamin:cheers for the up load on the Article , it was a long night trying to find it, you have made things a lot easier for myself
One out of the 66 impala and the other to of a 70 Chevelle with positraction 3:73 and discs breaks and finned drums... would like the one out of the 70 Chevelle but with the measurements the seller gave of 1560mm it will be 64 inches .. id like the choice for a 8 inch rim with a 265 tyre max but its at a good price and local..... this stuff is hard to find in Australia . Would Anybody know the biggest rim and tyre i could go if i went the 70 Chevelle diff?

With the colour .. The car was Brought in London UK, i brought it back to Australia and the paint was coming off pretty severely . it went a bare metal respray. We could only match the colour on the Car and Paint chips from a GM card. Could says Azua Aqua custom .

I would get an actual measurement of that Chevelle rear end because according to the article that falls within the category of the group that you’re looking for...... and that’s 10 inches wider than what they state in the article....... my guess is that that measurement was from outside of drum to outside of drum .......And not the same measurement between the backing plates

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4

I just did a 12bolt for a 66 impala, the difference in that and the chevelle is the control arms. The chevelle upper ones come off the pumpkin and the impala come off the axle tubes. For a big heavy car I prefer the tube 4 link because it seems more stable. If I’m not mistaken the impala used coil springs and the chevelle used leaf?? I would think the 66 12bolt would be a better bolt in than the chevelle axle

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
I had already did a 12 bolt swap by the time I started going to the drags, but I will echo what some others have said. Attached picture from my “trophy” shelf shows my stock driveshaft with about 550hp and drag radials. Upgraded that, and the other item is my cluster gear from my Muncie, same engine but with slicks. Drive shaft was about 3rd pass, trans took a couple weekends with slicks. That has been rectified also. Not sure how T10 compares with Muncie for strength, but everyone is steering you right. Traction is when stuff starts to break.

Attachments

• 9538A31F-FF6C-4FEB-AC01-3FBD41DED477.jpeg
    9538A31F-FF6C-4FEB-AC01-3FBD41DED477.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 36

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here is a photo of a 67 Chevelle 12 bolt rear end I have. I know the picture is a little hard to make out but the tape is hooked on the outside edge of the backing plate with the brake drums off to the other side measuring 54-7/16" wide. I know that 68 and up Chevelle's are a little wider than the 65-67,
about an 1-1/2" I think. The photo shows the edge of the backing plate as mounted to the axle housing.

IMG_5427.jpg

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I think if you were going to put a Chevelle 12 bolt into a X frame you would want the 65-67 axle instead of the 68 and up due to it being narrower. If you need any additional measurements I can provide except for axle flange to axle flange as this rear end is dissembled at this time. Also from what I have read the 12 bolt is supossed to be a pretty strong rear end.

427John

Well Known Member
As expensive as A body 12 bolts are in the US,I would think that they would be even more expensive down under.I guess early Olds/Pontiac 9.3's would be even less common though,and getting a ford 9" fabbed won't be cheap either.I'm with LA Hot rod starting with the Impala housing allows you to set the width where ever you want it,plus they are a lot more available(cheaper).

Last edited: