63 Body/collision book

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Does some kind of body / Collision repair book exist that shows how all the individual sheet metal panels are welded together on a 1963 Impala? (Probably a stupid question as the factory had to have this, so I guess the question is was If so does anyone know where I can find one or get a reprint?

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What’s weird is not seeing for chevy only finding one for Pontiac, Buick but I do see this supplement which is suppose to be used with 61 Chevy manual. Maybe this site or book might have what your looking for?.....

Attachments

• FB493306-DEC6-47FE-A895-0AC65EAF7106.jpeg
    FB493306-DEC6-47FE-A895-0AC65EAF7106.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 15

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Also found this.

Attachments

• 04E46A7A-AE72-4AE0-963A-A657E48DDA31.jpeg
    04E46A7A-AE72-4AE0-963A-A657E48DDA31.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 15

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
I have both of those Mr. Powell. I'm looking for something describing the weld lines between the rocker, A pillar structure, and quarter panel. What seems were spot welded and how often or what if anything was seam welded. What I am really trying to figure out is how many and what the shapes are of all the pieces that get put into the kick panel to toe board to rocker area.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I
I have both of those Mr. Powell. I'm looking for something describing the weld lines between the rocker, A pillar structure, and quarter panel. What seems were spot welded and how often or what if anything was seam welded. What I am really trying to figure out is how many and what the shapes are of all the pieces that get put into the kick panel to toe board to rocker area.
Have you tried Helms publishing? They might be able to point you in the right direction.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
63 is slightly different than 62. But it's been so long since I worked on my 63 that I'm not sure how different.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
I don't have to hopefully do as much custom fabrication as I got my inner and outer rockers as one complete assembly. I've just never done a rocker before and this car is pretty rough. I'm just hoping that once I get the rocker off I don't end up having to fix too much other stuff before welding it on. You pictures did remind me that I need to go out and get a piece to weld into the door jam as a brace when I cut the whole rocker out. If I had a big enough garage I would roll the four door parts car in and cut it into patch panels before starting the work, but I have not won the lottery so the space I have is what I have to work in.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
I found this on the web. Unfortunately it is a 4 door and not a 2 door. Now I have a question. I bought the rocker panel complete with inner and outer. I looked at it though and it looks like it has no third reinforcement piece in the center. I looked at a couple other sites and those are the only rocker pieces I see for sale. I don't see any mention of inner reinforcement or another inner rocker panel style. Is their a third piece I need to make the rockers complete or am I missing something?

Attachments

• side sheet metal diagram.jpg
    side sheet metal diagram.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 23

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Yes. No manufacturer I know makes the center section.
Looking at mine it looks like I have the outer and the reinforcement and no actual true inner. It looks like I have the blue section already welded to the olive green. This might actually work out in my favor building a Pro street with roll cage. I was going to have to weld a 1/8" plate along the inner rocker (white section), but now I might just build the inner rocker out of 1/8" plate. That way I have something to weld my rear cross member to and then all my out riggers for roll cage attachment points.

Attachments

• 370790929.jpg
    370790929.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 20

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Check out Hubbards Impala.You can get the outer rocker with internal support.You also will need the inner rocker,and rocker end cap to complete the rocker.
If it is a convertible there are more supports that are not reproduced.I was able to save a small piece of mine and had a sheet metal company bend one up for me.
Good luck

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Check out Hubbards Impala.You can get the outer rocker with internal support.You also will need the inner rocker,and rocker end cap to complete the rocker.
If it is a convertible there are more supports that are not reproduced.I was able to save a small piece of mine and had a sheet metal company bend one up for me.
Good luck

I checked the pair I got and they are definitely the outer with the middle reinforcement. After I get comfortable with body work the coupe I'm doing now, I have a convertible to do next. While it will need new rockers also the extra piece that welds onto the bottom actually looks to be in pretty good shape.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
For your convertible the Rail/reinforcement piece on the bottom is reproduced.But there is an extra piece inside the rocker.On the quarter side of the b pillar there is a piece that looks like a sail.This piece ties onto the extra internal piece.I couldn’t find these pieces.The pics are of the piece I had bent.The sail I bent myself.9F2417EA-E894-4A10-B86D-39A6605E4260.jpegE3F238AF-F4E1-4419-A98B-39A13233CFF9.jpeg