63 Console Shifter

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Converting 63 Impala sport coupe to a 63 SS I already have the console and the auto. console. I's there a shifter that will work in the console for a 700 r4 trans a cable setup or ???

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Would a stock shifter stick work ,not to keen on the lokar sticks the shift works setup looks good

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Models did you use the stock console ? I actually was looking at this one earlier

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I had it in the 62 SS console with the stock shifter bolted on. I now use a 69 camaro shifter boot and no console. I increased the dentent notch on the shifter for 1st to 2nd to make it easier to shift fast. I also used a camaro firebird cockscomb in the trans as it also has a larger notch for 1-2.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I got a couple buddies looking through there stock piles and see what I can come up with. Now I need to figure out the auto. column housing delete :think

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Can some one enlighten me as to how the console lights are wired ,does the lid light use the same power as the rear console light. I was trying to find a harness on line but no help on what I really need or I think I need but then I don't know what the hell I need lol. After pricing what I think I need I think I just will build my own .

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I don't have an assym. manual just the service man. and it doesn't show anything in the wire diagram in it. Took my drvs. side kick panel off but no xtra plug . Guess I'll just make my own

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
As far as the shifter goes your kinda stuck with the shiftworks if you want it to look stock. 63 power glide shifter actually bolts to the transmission and this allowed/required a low profile console. The console just does not come up high enough to cover a normal shifter and you need something that has the mechanism level with or below the tunnel.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have pictures of the SS console wiring from the kick panel area to the console between the seats if you are interested.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the wiring harness I found for a 63 SS console -I have 62's but I worked on 2 -63 SS cars installing the interior and consoles
This a American Autowire wiring harness (the same ones I use on my cars)
https://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-size-chevy-console-wiring-harness-super-sport-1963.html

This wiring harness plugs into the door switch wiring (white wires) and jumps the power to the console from that wiring behind the kick panel. Non SS cars have a white wire running to the door switch that turns on your interior lights when you open the door.

My pictures are from my 62 SS convertible and my friends 62 SS convertible
The console reproduction wiring harnesses are covered in a heavy fabric cover under the carpet and are clamped(clamps screwed to the floor)to the ridge by front of the front seat. The console wire also runs inside the factory plastic protector along the rocker for wiring to the rear of the car(see the picture)P1040772_tn.jpgP1010442_tn.jpgP1010443_tn.jpg

My pictures show a orange and a white wire -those wires are from the console. The orange wire from the SS console is hooked to power (the red wire) on the circuit breaker switch mounted to the kick panel area. The white wire (you can't see the plug in) to the door switch.

This switch is used for connections for Power convertible top, Power windows, power seats and I think is used on 61 to 64's. If you do not have any of these factory accessories I don't think you would have the circuit breaker switch. The wiring harnesses for the accessories I listed are made to fit these circuit breaker switches.
Paul