63 Convertible power top...

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Where does the top motor get it's power from? Is there an accessory wire that goes straight to the starter? The 1961 schematic looks like it is supposed to be that way but I'm not for sure. Any help would be great!
Ross

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Ross: Mine is a 64 and it has an "extra" red wire coming off the solenoid into the wiring harness up the the fuse block. I looked at the 64 supplemental manual and it does not show wiring for a convertible top motor. But it also does not show the heavy red wire coming off the solenoid either.

I looked at the 61 manual and believe that is the correct for my 64. I'm assuming your 63 would be wired the same..
Mick

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
:cheers Ross............You're 63 is wired exactly as the 61-62-64. I think its a 10 gauge. Its wired from the solenoid. I'll check tomorrow to see if I have the diagram for it.......................Ken

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
1961 the Top Pump lead goes to the Circuit Breaker, Top Switch lead to Circuit Breaker, opposite Circuit Breaker pole has a yellow Bulkhead that plugs in the firewall, the Accessory male Power Wire lead plugs into the bulkhead and the ring terminal goes to Starter. Confused? :doh:D

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Mr. 1961 description is correct. The power top, power windows & power seat wiring included a small fuse thing-a-ma-jiggy that mounted down by the fuse box on the inside so if there were any power surges....it would be stopped there.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
circuit breaker

Ross:
Here is a picture of the curcuit breaker for the power top on my convertible. It is also used for power windows and power seat options. It is mounted behind the kick panel on the driver's side.
Hope this helps.
Phil

Attachments

• powerseatsfuse.jpg
    powerseatsfuse.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 79

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Mr. 1961 description is correct. The power top, power windows & power seat wiring included a small fuse thing-a-ma-jiggy that mounted down by the fuse box on the inside so if there were any power surges....it would be stopped there.

Yeah mine is getting loaded up on that breaker with the Power Top, 6 way Power Seat, Power Vent & Windows (soon). :crazy
TheAce004.jpg

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the picture, Phil! For some reason I was thinking it was behind the passenger side kick panel. It obviously wasn't there when I looked! Now I just need to clean up the hot wire going straight to the battery.

Where on the firewall does the power lead come through? Is it part of the engine harness?

Thanks

Ross

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yeah mine is getting loaded up on that breaker with the Power Top, 6 way Power Seat, Power Vent & Windows (soon). :crazy
TheAce004.jpg

I believe there is a business out in California that make power vent window kits. They mainly cater to low riders. I can't remember the name. When my Dad was putting together the power vent pieces for his 68 El Camino I called them and tried to get them to sell me the elusive drivers side power vent switch (with the two VERTICAL switches) and they rudely refused. I guess they only sell the whole kit. Which is fine if you're starting from scratch. Still need that switch...
The power vents are really an easy swap to do.

Ross